1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New system - Rainbird

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MannyEdge, Jun 29, 2006.

1. MannyEdge

MannyEdge LawnSite Member

I just want to state this - I am not a business, but a consumer. I do not know if this is the proper place to ask these questions so I understand if you need to delete this thread - moderator.

My house sits on a lot size of 1/3 acre. The contractor wants to put in all rainbird equipment. Here is the list of equipment:

Valves - 100-DV-SS
    Rotors - 5004 or 3504 Depending on application
    Spray Heads - 1812 or 1806
    Controller - ESP Modular Outdoor

I am coming here because since you guys are business owner then you guys are the experts. Please advise me if the above equipment is good or not. The installation of the above equipment will cost me $3,150 (including taxes).

Please give me your thoughts. Anything would be appreciated.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Get a price with Hunter PGP's or I-20's for the rotor heads.
  3. MannyEdge

This contractor only uses Rainbird so please let me know if equipment listing is good or not. Are you suggesting that Hunter products are better?
  4. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

How many zones is he putting in?
    How many of each head is he using?
    How many square feet are you irrigating?
    What backflow device is he using?
    How many valve boxes are you gonna have?
    Whats your water pressure?

If he uses Rainbird exclusively then thats what he uses. A lot of professionals use one brand only. A lot use a mixture of components.
  5. Wet_Boots

Some problems with the 5000 series have been observed. The heads are more likely to fail than PGP's or I-20's are. About the 3500 series, I don't know. I prefer to use 1800 sprays in areas too small for rotors, and leave the mini-rotors out of it.
  6. MannyEdge

Thank you Wetboots, that is the answer I was looking for. I wanted to know if the equipment was good. I have been doing some research and I have heard the same report that you said.

Thanks for your reply,

7. The only thing Rain Bird I use is the 1800 spray heads. Every thing else I use is Hunter: I-20's - Pro-C and PGV valves threaded never slip. I replace a lot of Rain Bird products with Hunter.
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I do like the RB 5004 better than the Hunter PGP. I like the way it adjusts, and also the water distribution. But I will agree that they fail more often than the PGP. RB DV-100 are fine, they are the norm around here but do have a few problems.. RB 1806 would be great, as most of us put in the 1804 (6" lift as oppsed to 4"). Great as the grass grows long it will pop above it. ESP modular is my preference.

There is no reason to not go with that contractor because of the Rainbird parts he uses. RB has a better warranty on their stuff than most. Their warranty is either 3 or 5 years depending on the product. I think Hunter is 2-3.
  9. Hunter I-20 5 year warranty, I was burned by Rain Bird in the early 90's with the T-bird. 3500's- 5000's same internal parts as t-bird with different name. Thats why 3500-5000's fail.
  10. Wet_Boots

I wonder what real differences there are in the internal parts of gear drives. I know there's a K-Rain patent that Hunter utilizes for their heads. Rainbird has the edge on heads popping up and down - if they could only make the gear drive reliable, they'd really have something.