1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jabbo, Jun 23, 2005.

1. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

Was thinking about putting in my own system. Have been doing alot of reading and just wanted to see if has paid off! I have a 1 and 1/2 horse well pump. I tied into the 1 and 1/4" mainline with tee and ball valve and then with a pressure gauge, then left the pipe open. After I let my well run for a while adjusting the valve so that I got the most pressure without the well cutting off I measured the amount of water for one minute and came up with around 13 gpm's at 50 psi. Just wandering if this is enough flow to water around an acre of centipede? Also wandering off the top of your head about how many heads per zone and how many zones? Thanks in advance for any help!
  2. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

Come on guys, just a little help for the newbie!!!!!!!
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Give us more than a couple of hours :) It's the start of summer and most parts of the US are having above average temps.
    Short answer is you have plenty of water. Long answer will have to wait. This is just my mid day break :)

What are your backflow requirements? Backflow will be necessary, even w/ the well. Depending on the brand of sprinkler you have the best access to and your layout zoning will be key. I don't remember off the top of my head the water requirements for centipede, BUT, I'm guessing your ET rates to be around .2"/day, so we want to put that back, but probably only water once / week.
  4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

OK, longer answer. First, take some time to read here. A lot of this has been done 3 or 4 times just in the last 30 - 60 days. If you can maintain 50psi @13 gpm, I would probably design for 12gpm if you can run that w/o cycling the pump. Unless you are required an RP for backflow, your total system pressure loss should be less than 15psi. So we are working w/ 35psi head pressure and can run 12gpm per zone. If it is a large area, group your full circle heads together, even if it means a little more piping and then plan to run them twice as long as the rest of your system w/ half circle equivalent nozzles. This should give you a start point. Read some of the other threads. The info you want is already here.
  5. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply! I have read alot of info from jess stryker and other places and also talked with people that I work with who does irragation on the side. I,ve got quite a few questions but the main two things I wanted to know before I ever started spending alot of time on this is: #1-Do I have enough flow and pressure(which you have already answered that) and #2-To make sure that I am not going to have to run the system for three or four days a week just to keep it watered.Another thing that thru me for a loop was that jess stryker stated that you should have atleast 25 gpm's for 1 acre. So I just wanted to make sure I have enough!! I appreciate the help and would like some help on a few things like spacing and pipe size.I will be using mostly Hunter PGP's.
  6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, it takes 27,154 gallons of water to cover an acre of land to a depth of 1"... Now doing it with a lot of small zones will take a while, but there is nothing in the world that says the entire yard needs to be watered on the same night. With the right controller you could split the zones into thirds and water the entire yard over a three day period and turn around and do it again. You would still get the yard watered every week.

Obviously the greater the water supply the larger the zones. But just because someone who has a 'info website' says it, doesn't make it so. Not sure how accurate that information is.

Jerry R
  7. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply! I'm just trying to get as much info as I can and then add it all up and see what most people are using. I love this site and forums in general because I can actually ask people questions and they reply. Jess Stryker seems to know what he's talking about but I guess he's refuring to a so-called PERFECTLY designed system. I just don't want to cut any corners. I know I do not have as much water as I would like so I'm trying to get buy without having to change out my well pump!
  8. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

If you do an advanced search for my username, I have been on here asking "homeowner" questions of the pros for some months now. My situation is a tad different than yours, as I am on city water, but many of the basics will apply. Having a basic understanding of hydrodynamics will help you set up a system that will work. I am by no means an expert now, but have looked a a coupla friends' systems, and pointed out serious design flaws, just based on what I learned on here, Jeff's site, and reading both the Rainbidr & Hunter irrigation manuals (available online at both sites).

Good luck, and happy learning!