New system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by UNISCAPER, Jan 24, 2006.

1. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever have a person complain that they can smell the glue after you turn their water back on and charge the lines?

We just did today and I'm sure after the water runs a while that odor will dissipate.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've smelled it myself on new systems,I once opened a brand new hydrant to get some water and watched a gob of glue wash into my cup.

I didn't know you did irrigation too Bill, if you were a active here as you are in hardscape there might be a lot of good information flowing around.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Bill... Are you talking about a new domestic line to the house or are you saying an irrigation system was installed and they can smell it through their domestic line?

New lines can carry the smell of primer/glue for a little while. Like Jon said, if the line wasn't flushed out there could be pipe burrs and/or glue globs that add to the smell especially if the line is flushed before the glue has the chance to totally cure.

On an irrigation system with a proper backflow device there will not be any smell in the domestic line to the house.

Some people also have highly perceptive noses and can be more sensitive to some things. I know that I can tell when our city has upped the chlorination even a little.

4. Dirty Water

If it was a PVC line to the house and you used a glue fitting to do the tap for the irrigation source, then they could smell the glue from that fitting.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah... Anything before the BF could do that.

6. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

That is the scenario Jon. The meter is a 1", sized up to a 1 1/4, to PVC. We had to tap it right after the meter. We chained our 301.8 to a 257B to lower it down a 2-1 slope with soil loaded full of rocks to get the mains into the lower level back yard. I had built a 4 wheel articulated wheel barrow to drag up the hill with a machine for the spoils. We will be adding 50 yards of topsoil that has to be craned over the house into where we took the bed rock out. We got the lines all charged and the lady inside told her husband the glue smell was all through the house. I'm sure it will go away in a day, just never heard that one before.

7. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

Can't say I've had one complain about that one. But then I've got guys that want to "catch that good air" in a garbage bag when we charge the lines.......

Mike
    La. Landscape Contractor #2576

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You gotta be kidding Lanscapepro..they want to catch a buzz from the line air..OMG!!!
    Tell them NO!
    No I have never hear anybody complain about that at all.

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

FYI, that "good" air is actually just O2 deprived. If you ever find yourself in a truly inclosed space and solvent welding, find a means to ventilate if you want to get out on your own power. Nothing steals oxygen from the air faster than primer, except curing glue. And, yes that smell and taste can linger for quite a while if the water mains are PVC. For future refrence, open an outside hydrant and flush the line as soon as possible after making the tap. You don't have to let it pressure up, have the hydrants open and crack the meter. This gets the glue/primer out of and off of the house pipes as quickly as possible and will reduce how long the odor/taste lasts.

10. Dirty Water

Bryan, thats also good way to get air out of the lines when you turn the meter back on too.