1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New tailgate on trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by timsjeep, Feb 28, 2004.

1. timsjeep

timsjeep LawnSite Member

Has some extra time this week and so left over unistrut from another job. So I built a tailgate. Its ugly and big, but works well. Is so big, I had to build a gate assist. Thanks for all the ideas on the assist.

2. timsjeep

timsjeep LawnSite Member

This is the assist. I used the search and came up with almost all the plans. It is almost not enough, I may add a second one if I get the time.

3. timsjeep

timsjeep LawnSite Member

I think it turned out good for the first try. I learned alot and will make the next one better.

4. timsjeep

timsjeep LawnSite Member

I put in lots of supports because I still want to be able to drive the jeep you see in the back up on the trailer without taking the trailgate off.

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, good job. I need to put a new gate on the back of my trailer so that the guys won't tear the lawn mowers up loading and unloading them. The bottom of the decks scrape the trailer gate if then dont lean them back.
  6. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice. Looks heavy.
  7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Great job......I need to do the same.

You might want to make the pipe your assist spring is in, a little longer so that the spring is covered when fully extended.....

Also you can put a cap on the end and drill a hole for the cable to completely encase the spring for protection if it were to fail.

You probably already knew that though....

8. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

Nice job. I see you built a six footer to get your walkers over the edge without scraping the blower. I was forced to do the same. My tailgate ways 350#.
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Tim, for the next one instead of adding the extra supports for the jeep I would just put a leg on the middle of the gate instead. It will lighten up the gate for everyday use.
    I use my trailer for my Ford tractor and just throw a block of wood under the gate and it doesn't bend at all. Makes for a much lighter gate.
  10. timsjeep

timsjeep LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tip. Great idea. I will keep that in mind. It is a SOB to get up. Loosing two supports would drop it about 35 pounds or maybe more. Thanks again. Tim