New tailgate on trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by timsjeep, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Nice job Tim it looks good I wish I had storage space like that.

Larry

2. patriottruck

patriottruck LawnSite Member

Nice job. Next time you might want to try torsion springs between the bed and gate. Similar to a liftgate setup. Works well for us. Looks good though.

3. timsjeep

timsjeep LawnSite Member

Could you show me a picture of a torsion spring setup? Tim

4. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

Hey tim can you get a pic of the pully systme you use. I need some ideas thanks.

5. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Your gate is big, but I might have you beat. I have 2 360# springs to help out on lifting mine.
    Tim

mymowers.jpg

6. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

Imograss, where are your springs?

7. imograss

Laying on the rail just in front of the supports.

8. imograss

You can kinda see on this pic. I only needed one spring, untill I had my gate lengthened (the unpainted part) But I definately needed the other after it was all said and done.

newtrailerunloaded.jpg

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Two springs are really what's needed. It will take some of the load off the other and they may stay in the tubes. The roller looks similar to mine, it works great. The cap is a good idea if you can get it set so the spring dosen't come out the end.

10. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a nice gate. I remember the good old days of mowing (actually not all that good) we had this trailer with a huge gate and I mean huge. Acctually it is still sitting out in back of one of the whearhouses. It honestly took two people to lift it. there was no way one person was going to lift it. I will try and get a pic of it up. But back on topic that is a good job you did on the gate. Could never have done that quality of work myself!!