New things w/ cisterns

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BrandonV, Feb 16, 2008.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Guys out west, I've done a couple of cistern systems going to meet w/ a client this next week who is interested in installing a cistern-based system for two houses he just bought. Anything new in this realm that I might not be up on? any info would be great, I have used a supplier out of Tenn before and the tanks were reasonably priced, just curious if there is anything "cutting edge" because that's what I like.
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Water supply from where & how much re charge needed to supply irrir needs? Go on demand submersible,
    but gotta figure that re charge..that's where multiple (more than four) program clocks are handy.
  3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

water will be from off roofs, and the owner is building a pond on another piece of property that if the rains stop he'll fill the tanks via pond/truck. I haven't meet w/ him yet but I'm assuming he doesn't even want a city hookup, which make everything pretty easy. i haven't seen the property yet, so not sure on the area yet, the biggest one I've built to date has 3 1500gal tanks and they last about 10 cycles before they go empty, so I'm using that as a guide, when you say on demand submersible you mean one w/ a clock driven relay or something that keeps the lines charged.
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The one I did last year was fed from a artesian well via gravity to a 500 gal holding and
    settling tank, then a transfer pump with float switch sent it to the 1500 cistern & a
    submersible "on demand" pump & electronics fed irrigation. The cool deal about
    "on demand" is you set the psi & the electronics run the pump at the proper speed for the
    size of the zone. London mentioned it a while ago. Depending on how many cisterns you
    have will dictate the transfer pumps & re-fill. Tricky, but it works great. I'm doing
    another one next door when I get back. Will search for London's post.
  5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Around here they will not work just because of the size of the properties. The average building lot in my area is a min of 1 to around 4 acres. typical systems are using about 2k gals a day.