New tire or try a tube?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wally, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Wally

Wally LawnSite Member

I have put a cut in the sidewall of the rear tire of my ztr by being stupid. It has Slime in it and will hold enough air to go for 15 minutes or so. Should I get a new tire or try a tube? Tires are in good shape otherwise. I like to take breaks while working but stopping to fill the tire is slowing me down too much. I called the dealer and the answering machine says the whole shop is closed until Monday, they are on vacation! J-Thomas can have one here by then. Image attached Thanks

tirecuts.jpg

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

A tube will fix it but a new tire is the permanent solution barring you cutting the sidewall again. You should also do a search and get the tire or tube off of the internet. It will be much cheaper then the dealer.

Gravely_Man

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

properly patch that baby from the inside and it'll run for years.

but it would be even easier to do a tube. just make sure the inside of the tire is smooth.

GEO

4. lickedysplits

lickedysplits LawnSite Member

hey wally,
    can you post the j. thomas website.
    thanks,
    eddie

5. Wally

Wally LawnSite Member

6. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

worth a try to put a sidewall patch in the tire and then put a tube in the tire I have head of patches not sticking to good if the tire has had slime in it do not know 1st hand only what my tire man told me . Have a good day

7. lickedysplits

lickedysplits LawnSite Member

thanks wally,
    man that was real hard. i must be getting to old. i even ran a search on a search engine. sounds like i need to state using another search engine

8. Wally

Wally LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to try a tube and a patch in the tire. Difference is about $46 tube vs tire.