new tires

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 1999frontier, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Taller tires will possibly confuse your non-chipped engine computer due 'it' thinking you have stock height tires...thus contributing to less desireable air/fuel/performance/mileage ratios. That and your speedometer will be inaccurate w/o an internal modification.

Just speculatin'...not tellin'.

2. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I think the 245's that are on it now just look too small on the truck and that's why I was thinking stepping up a size or two. I know it will hurt my MPG. How much do you think it will hurt it going 1 or 2 sizes bigger?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Kustom Kutz

Kustom Kutz LawnSite Member

I have the same truck you have with a 6.0 under the hood. I get around 275-300 miles to a 26 gallon tank. I guess thats around 10 or 11 MPG. I however hardly ever take my trailer off. Without my trailer I can get as much as 420 a tank. These horrible gas averages are with me driving like a old man.

4. 1999frontier

from NC

Yeah I get 11 MPG. I only drive like 3 miles to by 40 hour job and then go home for lunch and then back to work and back home.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 1999frontier

from NC

My 2nd cousin had the truck before I did and he had 285 Michelin LTX M/S before he traded it for a newer model so they just switched tires. I'm not sure if the dealership cranked the torsion bars back down or not.
    I've been looking at the:
    Nitto Terra Grapplers
    GoodYear Duratrac
    Kumho Road Venture A/T
    Dick Cepeck F/C II
    Firestone Destination A/T
    BFG A/T
    Goodyear Authority (walmart tire) not sure if I want to go to walmart to buy tires though

I think that's about it. Do any of you know anything about these tires.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

7. MAD87

MAD87 LawnSite Member

As far as longevity, it's hard to beat a Michelin!

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

As for the load range I would go with Ds if this is a half ton that way you can safely run 55-60 PSI you CAN NOT do that with E rubber it creates excessive heat and tire damage.

I gave this link in SLR's thread I think it applies here

www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Toyo&tiremodel=Open+Country+H%2FT+Tuff+Duty

After searching around they don't offer many tires in D load rating anymore.

If you want a smooth ride you have no choice but go with Michelins they do ride the best.

9. 1999frontier

from NC

I'm going to have to check my tires. I think the people that change my oil put 35PSI in my load E tires.

Should I be ok with D load tires?

10. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

uniroyal liberator at 265/75r/16
    uniroyal is made by michelin
    its cheaper, looks just as mean, and the wear is amazing on these tires
    on the road there is some road noise but its not that bad at all
    mud they are ok havent really taken my truck out in the mud just for the fun of it
    dirt roads and rocks these tires are great theyre 10 ply so no worries about sharp rocks
    and guess what... theyre at wal-mart and cheaper than the other stuff

http://www.uniroyaltires.com/tire-selector/category/suv-pickup/liberator-a-t/tire-details