1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new to a zt

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tsi guy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. tsi guy

tsi guy LawnSite Member

I've been cutting residential for about 5 years. smaller yards 10 to12 a season. I work full time for a tree service, and do this part time. I bought a used woods front mount mower 61inch 21hp diesel. I want to go for bigger yards, but have no idea on how much grass I can cut. I have never used a zt before and never worked for a lawn care company. I know I want $35 a man hour (me and 1 other). I have only used my 36 wb. I'd like to get into property maintenance (mowing trees & snow plowing). looking into apartment complexes. so for me it's real hard for me to bid time any suggestions?

is there more $$$ in residential or commercial. I'm still only triing to do this part time until I make more than I do working for some on else, and don't starve in the winter time

any comments would be appreciated
  2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

$35 a man hour for 2 gusy is $17.50 an hour. i made more than that per hour working for the town, and i had unbelievable medical coverage and a pension. i left to make more. we make much more than that, try to rethink your efforts. especially since your paying fuel, equiptment, insurance?? etc.

as far as the mower, you can cut quite a bit with a big machine, but a woods front mount isnt going to be as fast as a newer ZTR
  3. tsi guy

tsi guy LawnSite Member

$35 a man hour = 2 guys $70 an hour. I wouldn't get out of bed for 17.50hr. but as far as cutting a acre how long? I know I can't cut full boar it will look like hell. I'm triing to get some idea. I know I'll have to just get out and live and learn like I did when learning on how to bid tree jobs
  4. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

your best bet is to;
    Try the search feature on the top of the page theres a ton of imfo on your ?'s