1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to Accepting Credit Cards

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tsh1773, Apr 19, 2007.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I received my credit card machine Monday and was curious to know the best way to get your customers to pay with a debit or credit card. Do you generally encourage your customers to pay with plastic?

I had several customers recommend that I accept cards, and I'd like to think it will save me money by not having to make trips to the bank to deposit checks. I previously accept credit card payments through Paypal on my website but they charge 2.9% + $.30 per transaction. The fee for Visa and MC is 2.39% for each transaction but if I process over $1200 per month, the $6 monthly fee will be waved.

Do you include a space on your invoices for the customer to put their card number and if so, do many of your customers use this as a method of payment? Do you ask your customers to call in their card number for payment?

Please give me your experiences (do's and don'ts) of accepting credit cards. Thanks in advance.
  2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have there number on file and charge it at the end of the month then we email or mail them a paid invoice.
  3. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I would like to do that. then I wouldn't have to chase people down for money and get paid months late
  4. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

When we first started taking credit card payments I sent out a notification to all my customers as I do with every new service, and also sent with it an offer to receive a one time credit to thier account of $25.00 along with the form to authorize me to charge thier card for services due per month. I got a great response from this offer and keep card numbers on file.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

What company did you go with? I have been thinking about doing this but I am afraid of getting ripped off with fly by night companies (if any do exist in credit card processing companies).
  6. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I went with Crescent Processing Company. They approached me and so far have been very helpful. Equipment was free.
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

FREE? Thats a screamin' deal. Usually they rent you one for about 35-75.00 a month. The worst one I had was the 75.00/month and they were going to charge me a 4% transaction fee and a 2% whatever fee totaling 6%....yeah get the hell out of my shop! We are thinking of trying this again in the future though. I really havent had too many problems getting my money so I dont know if I want to part with 2-3% for nothing.