1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to advertising...Here is what I am doing!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by growitmowitlawncare, Mar 18, 2008.

1. growitmowitlawncare

growitmowitlawncare LawnSite Member

Well I have been working for a family member in the past so I never had to do the advertising part or the business operations but now that I am out on my own and in a new area I have been doing all of this.

I started out with a website of course, its there and its not perfect or great by any means but its there. Check it out at www.mslawncare.com.

Then I went out and talked to every commercial account I could find and asked if they were taking bids for this year? Of course some said yes and some said no. I have gotten a restaurant and am waiting on a bunch more. I had bid on a private school and I didn't get it because some guy came in a lowballed big time(he won't make any profit).

Now I am concentrating on residential customers, and I put a small ad in the newspaper in the service section that runs for 6 weeks. I went out and put a few flyers on door knobs but it was still to cold. SO I needed something else to get my name out there.

I drove around and got some neighborhoods in mind, grabbed a few addresses and went home. I got online, reverse looked-up the residents on whitepages.com and then sent out a letter telling them what we offer, talking ourselves up, and telling them to call for an estimate. I threw in a flyer that I had printed that stated our specials and all of our contact info, then threw in a business card and a magnet (both very nice). I have sent out 250 of these so far and have about 100 more ready. I will hopefully get about 350 more sent out.

With this, do you think I my outlook is for numbers? Anyone do this and have success? I need some more residentials, this is going to be my full-time job and i have everything (pesticides, licenses, and insurance) but still need more customers.
  2. growitmowitlawncare

No one has any clue if this will work or no one has done this? Sorry for the errors in my first post but I was typing quickly.
  3. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I did the same thing my first year. I sent 1000, got 5 customers.
  4. jonhumphries

jonhumphries LawnSite Member

I'm getting my business off the ground as well. My marketing/advertising consists of
    1) Calling everyone I know and telling them what I am doing, and 2) Putting flyers on doorknobs. Also, when I'm putting out flyers, if I see a homeowner in the yard, I'll stop and talk to them. I've picked up three yards in the last week using the flyers. Yesterday, I saw another service across the street from one of my customers. After they left, I checked out their work and it totally sucked, so I knocked on the lady's door and handed her a card. Will let you know how that works.
  5. JohnnyCuts

JohnnyCuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Something I'm thinking of doing is looking up new home purchases in the areas I want to work on the county assessors site, and targeting them specifically. Wether that means sending a personally written note/envelope welcome letter or actually knocking on their door I dont know yet.
  6. creatived

creatived LawnSite Member

THE NEW HOME THING IS A GOOD IDEA COLD CALL THEM!!!!!:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:
  7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

growit' check your PM's
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No secrets..we're all amongst friends, here....:laugh:
  9. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

haha. not a secret. Just saw something on his site that looked oddly familiar...

jeez Runner... 10,264 Posts... wow.
  10. growitmowitlawncare

Raven pm'd you back