1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new to board

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Little o, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Little o

Little o LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

Just found this site maybe two weeks ago. Have done alot of reading of past topics and absorbing the knowledge of all the members.(Both good and bad)

My current plan is to start a small lawncare maintenance business next spring 2005. Reason is that up in the beautiful Pacific Northwest the season is almost over and would be hard for a newbie to gather work. This will also give me time to get the various business organization plan together; ie. form the LLC, pass the state herbicide operator license test, research and purchase equipment etc.

I am currently retired but bored, these last two years I have been soul searching on what I want to do the next twenty years to make my happy. I have looked into working for the man but the loss and freedom, low starting pay, limited growth potential, just doesn't do it for me.

From what I've been reading, the first year is going to be tough and an willing to put the time in to grow. Ultimately I would like to get about 40 good clients as a solo, and see how I feel. Maybe build, renovate, or buy a multiplex in the slow winters, keeping them close to the route so that I can maintain and watch them closely.

I will do probably do more listening than talking on this board until I can intelligently add to the discussions.

Please don't blast me if I ask a stupid question, but I'm sure I'll ask a few.

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Doug, welcome to the board! Yes, it will take much work but it seems like you have the dedication and determination to make everything work out next spring. It's good that you've been lurking around on the site and taking in a lot of information, it will really help you a bunch because there are some truly good people with awesome information on here! I learn something new everyday. Remember though to ask every question that you can because there are others out there who have the same questions. IMHO there is no stupid question to ask if you have done a search and haven't found what you were looking for. Good luck on your business.