1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to Business. Act as old hand or new kid on the block?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XOFMOT, Jun 11, 2001.

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

I have yet to have any customers, but when the time comes, how should I come across? Should I be honest and tell them I am new to the industry or should I be a "CAR SALESMAN" and just try to get the job?

2. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

Be honest you don't have to remember so many different stories. If you tell to many you'll forget something but the person you told won't
    and one of them will bite you in the butt
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'd say be honest. It's funny, you'll actually find some people want to help you along in succeeding in your business.
    I don't pretend to know something I don't. This goes for all things, not just the lawn biz.
    Nobody likes a car salesman (sorry if there are any car salesmen on here!). And most people can tell when you're bs'ing them anyway.

Of course the best way to avoid this is to know what you're doing. And the best way to do that is to read, read, read. Take advantage of this great site. I spent hours here reading and learning.
    Also get a couple books. Ortho has some decent ones that I've bought. They're individual books on specific topics like trees, lawns, shrubs, pruning, etc. Home Depot has 'em and they are pretty cheap.

Another good book is "Starting a Home Based Lawn Business" by Owen Dell. Get the most recent edition.

Then just do the best job you can do. It feels good getting that compliment when you're done!

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

Thanks! I will follow your advice. The last thing that I want to do is to get bit in the rear!
    5 or 6 years ago I purchased the OWEN DELL book and it has been a great resource. About 4 months ago I picked up his latest version on the book, it has also ben helpful. But you guy are right, HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY! That was my first thought on the subject, but not sure on how a potential customer would react with a "NEW GUY" maintaing his property that he just purchased for $800,000.00 Thanks again and I'll be on this site learning for a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time:D
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sell them with enthusiasm an interest in there lawns potential.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

good luck ;->
  7. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

XOFMOT - From my perspective as a homeowner, I can tell you I'd much rather you be honest. No need to be apologetic, just show me that you're knowledgeable of what you're proposing. I can cut through the BS, let you finish your spiel and not call you back. Like gotgetter said, I'd like to think I helped you get your company going and it's not like you're going to do any permanent damage. If you're not sure about something, let me know you're going to find out - then you can get on here for an answer.

Good luck.
  8. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Don't tell the customer more than they need to know. If they have confidence in you, do not, I repeat, do not shatter their confidence. Think about it- if a homeowner alows you to regularly come on their property and pay you to perform a service why point out your shortcomings? Unless they ask, don't tell!

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sheppard is correct. Don't go telling them your new. "Hey, your my very first job. No sir, I don't know what type of grass that is, but I can cut it."

Educate yourself. You can be knowledgable to make the customer feel secure in choosing you. If you don't know something, tell them you don't know. Tell them you will research it for them and let them know. There is more than enough info here and other places to make you a bubbling brook of information. Start doing your homework. The knowledge is what you need to strive for. Anyone can cut grass. Know the common weeds in your area, the types of grasses. What grows in shade and what grows in full sun? What do the different #'s on a bag of fertilizer mean? Why should clippings be left on the lawn?
  10. Hello Everybody:

Honesty is Best Policy!

1 Lie can Destroy a 1,000 Truths!

Only do what you know you can do, In another words, don't bite off more than you can Chew! In a short period of time you will be able to do it all! :)

One of the worst things you can do is spend time talking to customers, when you work you get paid for it. It's no way to keep a job & not profitable at all! How long does your Doctor stand around & talk to you? Being a Doctor is one of the Most Honored Professions in the world. That's most peoples thoughts not mine?

Your out there trying to work hard & make a honest living. That's what counts more than anything. People will understand & if they don't, well it's time to go. This is not Rocket Science! :)