NEW to business....Got some questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by richdrod, Jul 25, 2009.

1. richdrod

richdrod LawnSite Member

I am new to the business and now investing in equipment. I am trying to figure out which brand and what size deck is the most reliable and best for the money?

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

You will need to be more specific to size, budget etc.

3. ecko

ecko LawnSite Member

First off, what do your local dealers sell?

4. richdrod

richdrod LawnSite Member

The stores here are Lowes & Home Depot.....
    they have troy bilt, john deere, toro, club cadet, swisser, and arien.

I really don't want to spend more than 4-5000.00 on the mower. The deck size I am not sure because I have been looking at 50" but don't want to run into problems with it being too big.........

5. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are running a buissness cutting grass, do not buy your mower from Lowes or Home Depot. They are a residential mower, and will not hold to the abuse it will have to go through.

To meet your price, look into a nice used walk behind. Size is going to matter on your properties.

6. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

The only way to answer your question properly is how many accounts do you have? What size are they? What are the plans for this business? Do you plan to grow it alot?

If he only has 2 lawns and doesn't plan to get bigger then what is wrong with a Residential mower?

There is no way to answer his ? till he answers my ?s first.

7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I see alot of small SUVs and minivans pulling a 5*8 trailer with a residential z in my area. They seem to hold up for them.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

you could buy a used commercial WB or ZTR for around that much

9. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Cub Cadet 50" version from Home Depot. I used it for 1.5 years before I got My Exmark. I put 150 hours on it(only mow part time). The thing does not hold up. I switched because the cut was getting very inconsistent, and many parts were starting to break.