1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new to business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by backtobasicslawncare, Dec 23, 2006.

1. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

im new to this business and i was wondering what should the hauling charge range from. is 3 lawns good for a starter. i was wondering how to improve the business.

2. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

the amount of lawns you have should depend on your overhead, and cost of living (your prices should be based on this too). Ways to improve business could be advertisements on vehicles, in newspapers, fliers, word of mouth, refferals, etc. Hope this helps and good luck!
  3. backtobasicslawncare

from TN

thanks for the advice jbone i hope to do better.
  4. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Cool business card! Welcome to this website and make sure you read a lot of these threats. Theses guys and gals have a wealth of knowledge and it is free. I would say good luck but I do not believe in luck.

Happy cutting,

5. backtobasicslawncare

from TN

well thanks i hope to learn alot from the pros
  6. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Not really sure what your question is really asking but I will do my best. I myself am relatively new. Going on my 3rd year...hear that SheShovel!! Crazy huh. Thankyou. Anyways, This is how I determine hauling. Figure mileage and time from the property that you are hauling from. Also, don't forget to remember dump fees. Here is a scenerio

1. 102 right way rd. 32 miles from dump.
    at 13 mpg that would cost you $5 just for gas to get there. Then the time it takes. If you have a 2 man crew with a combined hourly rate of $19. It would cost you approximately $14.75 ( 45 min = .75 X $19= $14.25)
    Then at min $15/ton= $15
    So far you have $5(gas) + $14.25 (wages)+$15(dump fees)
    I multiply my wages and gas costs by two to cover to and from and then add my dump fees.
    $53.50 for my dump fees.

Hope this helps. One thing for sure you have got to know what your numbers are. The numbers will either keep you in business or put you out of business.