New to Fert, give your input

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Willofalltrades, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I am adding Fertilizing and weed control to my services. I assume this requires a liscence, correct?
    A golf coarse super is teaching me how to properly apply the stuff. So thats not an issue.
    What is a good starting rate? I mean I know you do it by the SQ ft. Give me the low down on this service please. I plan to get a simple Lesco spreader.
  2. MRGreenstuff

MRGreenstuff LawnSite Member

Weed control requires a license, you would think your golf super would have informed you of this!
  3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

It all depends on your state licensing.
    It will depends on a number of things.

type of grass, quality of turf expected, clipping recycled or mulch? irrigation? sun shade? take a soil sample and figure out what the soil is lacking. then go from there.
  4. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

DONT GUESS SOIL TEST. This is the best thing to do. Try not to just put a bag from the "box stores" down. You can charge for the soil testing and customers will be more satisfied with thier lawns. Give prices after testing so you know the application rate. NEVER sell yourself cheap. People that want fertilization done care about their yard and by soil testing it shows you care to.
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

exactly! do what newhorizon said
  6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You really need to think about whether you want to get into the pesticide thing . While the law varies from state to state , a license is required to do this , even to apply feed and seed fertilizer. It will require a lot of study and learning on your part , thus a significant committment of time. It is really easy to screw up a lawn with selective herbicides , so you will assume a higher level of liability. I have an agricultural license and was considering upgrading to commercial but after looking at the licensing criteria and the liabilities and potential fines involved , I am not sure that it is worth it. It is one thing to spray glyphosphate in a mulched bed or put feed and seed on a lawn (after a soil test ) , but it gets terrifically complicated beyond that . I will probably continue to sub out to a guy who does only this and has the equipment and knowledge that I don't. Just not enough profit margin imo . I like to read the pesticide section of this site - very informative and a good place to get some informed opinions. Good luck at any rate.
  7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I am in Ma. the profit is massive
  8. motoguy

motoguy LawnSite Member

Care to eleborate? Are you referring to the fertilizer side, the pesticide / herbicide side, or ???