1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to fert

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BLC1, Feb 28, 2008.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have been reading through here trying to learn as much as possible. I am also working on getting cert. right now.

I was just looking for a nice simple start up plan so I can offer a basic plan to some of my current customers and then try to expand it as I familarize myself with the new service.

Looking for what kinds of products to use and when. All that good stuff.
  2. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

any suggestions
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

This has been discussed in older threads. Best way is to drop by your fert dealer or Lescojdl when they are not busy and have them suggest a program for you. Get more than one opinion--they will be different. Prices will vary. Quantity discounts will vary. Try to figure how many dollars your yearly purchases will be.
    You should have a few soil tests to have an idea of what your average soil needs.

If you have an idea of what grass species, weeds, insects, disease and crabgrass pressure most of your customers have--that would help.

Be prepared to explain what equipment you will be using--liquid or dry--backpack or skid sprayer.
  4. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your county extension service. They'll have a basic program for the turf types and soils in your area. Then go from there about who, what, and when!