New to fertalizer please help with price....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Mow It All llc, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Mow It All llc

Mow It All llc LawnSite Member

I just got my Lic. last week and need some input. I have roughlly 20 houses that want a yearly contract, they are un happy with chem lawn. I want to make sure I charge enough, it will start this month with pre emergant and go till nov, so 9 months. Pre emergant, fertalizing, peticide, and weed control for the season. was thinking $450 for the yearlly plan, how does that sound for a price? Lots are on average 125x125 with a normal 1200-1500sq ft home.......thats alot guys

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Not happy with Chemlawn ? but why, I thought everybody likes technicians putting down barricade on thier lawn in late January.
  3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

thats a lot of cash for "fertalizer" and "peticide"
  4. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

Mow it All well that is a broad question that we can answer for you. My answer will be different than the guy/gal that will follow me but here is the basis for what we do in Kansas City.

Are basis for lawn applications are $135 dollars an acre that is what we shoot for and use kind of like a measuring stick. For the residential accounts we have and we don't have many we start at $70 a lot up to 15K sq ft. If it is between 15k and 45k(an acre) it goes up $1 for every 1k of sq ft until we hit one acre.

Are commercial accounts ranges stay right around $135 an acre might go up a little might go down depending on level of difficulty we have a Home Owners Association that is the most cut up fourteen acres I have every seen we charged $2200 for one app because we can't hardly any ride on equipment most of it will have to be walked.

Figure what your cost for material will be contact lesco, any other dealers, factor cost of insurance,overhead, and profit margin to do this and create kind of a baseline.

That helps I hope just keep asking.
  5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm thinking they have a driveway along with the house...That being said you are close to my price for 13k of turf 6 apps per year. You're 25-40 higher than me annually...if that helps.
  6. 1080p

1080p LawnSite Member

Here's something to campare to, would compare anything but price though
    I called the previous company mentioned on this thread and requested an estimate for my home lawn of 6000sqft, of course only for comparision...
    $58/app 7 apps a year, yes i did say seven!!!!
    Now i do not have a four year degree, only a 2 year, but i do know how to read and 7 apps in a year for the upper, upper midwest is way to much.
    3 to maybe 5 apps for this area, regarding if you apply at 1lb/1000
  7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I dont think there is a market for that, maybe for squirlicide or crowacide:laugh:
  8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

With all due respect, Mow it All...I'm not trying to be a "know it all".
    There are no doubt some things in your life that you may be able to excel in...probably better than myself and some others here on Lawnsite.

But before you find out about things such as 'pricing'; you should probably 1st think about your image and professionalism, and how it's perceived by others!!

...especially if the spelling and grammar you've exhibited on this thread is an indication of what your customers see and hear from you !!!

(Start by spelling f-e-r-t-i-l-i-z-e-r correctly.)
  9. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh that was good yes that was good
  10. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

You really should spend some time doing a cost analysis on whatever program you come up with. You must figure time and materials plus overhead. Every-ones cost is different and markets will dictate what you can reasonably charge for your services. Your pricing should reflect that. Don't let yourself fall into the trap of ( I'm pricing my applications like the other guys so I must be ok ). Maybe the other companies are wrong. Do your homework. Price out all your materials for your program. See what your cost per application is. Know what your cost per sq ft is. Your overhead cost of fuel, insurance, your facility etc...... all factor in to what you need to charge. Lets not forget figuring an adequate profit margin either. You need to be sure your making money before you ever even quote a price or set foot on someones lawn. Good Luck!