New to Fertilizing and Weed Control!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MattsMowing3535, Nov 11, 2006.

1. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey rather new to fertilizeing and stuff.
    I just need some adivice on how you all started.If/When you started small. I have a few customers that want me to do feritlizeing/Weed control. I am preety sure that the liqued stuff is best but dont have the money to buy a tank for a truck or anything. Is there some way you can put down liqued fertilizer for less then 500 dollers for the equipment? Or can I get by for a couple years useing regular stuff. IF so what equipment do you think I should get?
    Thanks and I am really sorry if this is completely newby stuff!
    Matt-

2. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

OK... I'll be the fist guy to ask this time...

Matt, are you licensed yet?

3. MattsMowing3535

I am not that new :rolleyes: I am getting my license this spring. I just have to pay around 200 dollers and I have my fert and herbicide license. I am calling the state within the next month to work it all out to be ready for spring! If I cannot get it becuse I am under 18 I will have my dad get the license for me!

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget the insurance...My state won't issue the lic unless you have the insurance rider attached to the lic.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

MN must be one of the states that no experience is required? No previous certifications? Even with the license, (if it is able to be aquired), there is no question that you have to be 18 to obtain a certification to apply under the license. I think the first step you should take is to contact your state dept. of agriculture and/or get on their website to see what the requirements are.

6. MattsMowing3535

I talked to anouther LCO you dont need any experience. I really was just wondering about equipment and what to use. Ill work out the license on my own becuse I know what I need to get thanks for makeing sure I new though. . .

7. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

Look Matt, I read these posts all the time and actually get a little upset when everyone here gives guys like you a hard time. However this time I'm on their side. The chemical side of the lawn care industry isn't brain surgery but there are some things that make it a little more complicated than you think. Who ever told you don't need experience is full of S**T!

On top of it all, you are not even 18 yrs old. You cant legally by Playboy (at least in my state) yet you want to apply chemicals on someones lawn. You NEED insurance. If there was no experience necessary, why do so many insurance companies write for grass cutters and landscapers, but don't offer a rider for chemical applications?

Since your Dad has to get the license for you maybe you should hire him. If he's the one getting certified, he should be the one doing the applications. And since your under 18 he will also be the one who will have to get (you) the insurance.

My suggestion, find someone in your area that LEGALLY does chemical applications and work out a deal for him to treat your customers lawns so that you both make some money.

8. MattsMowing3535

Well sir,
    I am sorry that you feel that way. It is a shame that most adults sterotype kids the same way an insurence company does. Becuse we are young we must be stupid and not know what we are doing? It's not like I have never laid fertlizer before. . . Atleast I am going to my state to try and get licensed and be legal. I will get insurence if that is what it takes but I wasn't planing on it. Really I don't understand why you think that I am going to mess up and it is going to be so much worse becuse I have not worked for a company for years. Honestly I think that the best way to learn is one lawn at a time. Start with your own the the mistakes out of the way then expand a few lawns a year. I see nothing wrong with wanting to provide my customers with fertilizeing. I didnt plan on doing any fertlizeing until I was 18 but when I had 5 people in one week talk to me about fertlizeing I decided I would look into it. Sir, I thank you for being so angerd that I want to try something new and make some honest money. I have decided that its really not worth it to go threw all this trouble. I will just tell all my clients no.
    Thank you for your time everyone,
    Matt-

9. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Your response and attitude prove that you are not yet an adult. Don't be so eager to take on responsibilty when society is telling you that you are not yet ready. Direct that eagerness toward learning and maturity will bloom soon enough. You can't even spell "fertilizing" yet. You are not stupid, just young and ambitious: both good things by the way.

10. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Very good advice, knowledge in this business is key. I would read all I could & then some. Plenty of time to make money, just get all your ducks in a row.