New to Group and Question?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Razzlo, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Razzlo

Razzlo LawnSite Member

I recently purchased an '84 C-10 that had a rebuilt motor and Trans about 20K ago. It had a 305 swapped out to a 350. I have tried to find the engine code on the motor with no luck. Can anyone tell me the possible places to look?

Thanks.
    Razzlo

2. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder LawnSite Member

"on all v8 engines except the 454 engine, the code can be found on a pad at the front edge of the block under the right cylinder head."

3. 3/4tonTodd

3/4tonTodd LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I thought it was on the driver's side, rear of the block, below the head but above the bell housing?? In other words, the worst possible place to look if you have a big vaccuum booster for your power brakes.

Anyway, good luck finding it. I haven't been brave enough to search mine out yet. Let me know where you find yours.

Todd

4. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I pulled my copy of "Chevrolet Small Block V-8 Interchange Manual" (Motorbooks International, written by David lewis) down and the number that 3/4tonTodd referred to is the block casting number indicating engine displacement and range of years manufactured, while the number referred to by Fierospeeder ("pad at the front edge of the block under the right cylinder head") indicates what year and model of vehicle the engine came out of. The casting number consists of raised, fairly large numbers while the number at the front edge of the block is stamped into a small patch of the block beck surface that extends past the end of the cylinder head. I believe the small, stamped number up at the front will be the engine code. Hope this can be of some help to you, sorry I don't know how to actually decipher the engine code though.

1975 GMC C-35

P.S. : 3/4tonTodd - you're right, the casting number is in a heck of an awkward place to get at. Sure glad I run Hydro-Boost!

[Edited by 75 on 02-06-2001 at 07:58 PM]

5. 75

Forgot my manners yesterday - Razzlo, welcome to the forum! I'm new here too, so far I've found a lot of good information and ideas here. Good bunch of people!

1975 GMC C-35

6. Razzlo

Razzlo LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of your information. I have not had the chance to look yet. But All of your answers confirmed my suspicions. I have found several resources that show several locations for the #'s. I have been spending too much time trying to work on my '96 Concord :-( . This weekend I am replacing the water pump and next weekend I get to replace all of the steering linkage. WOOHOO!!!. What a PAIN.

Razzlo

7. Jeff's Classics

Jeff's Classics LawnSite Member

Razzlo,
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Fierospeeder is right about the location of the engine code, it is stamped at the time of assembly. The problem is that if the block was decked those numbers will be gone. If they are there, post them here. I have a Chevy Engine Code book that lists all the codes and the corresponding year and model vehicle that they were used in, also the HP and transmission that they originally were mated to.
    Jeff
    http://www.jeffsclassics.com

8. Razzlo

Razzlo LawnSite Member

FINALLY got a chance to do a REAL tune up on my '84 C10 350. Getting ready to do the timing and.... Could not find the timing Mark. WHERE THE H*** IS THE MARK? I looked on both sides of the pully and STILL couldn't locate it. Funny thing... When I went to the bone yard to get a new window (different story)... I looked at an engine in one of the trucks, and it didn't have one either. If there is not one, How can I adjust the timing? Thanks. Razzlo.

9. 75

Check for a notch on the harmonic balancer (crankshaft vibration damper) there should be one somewhere along the circumference. It may be neccesary to wire brush the balancer, if there is some dirt and grease buildup on it.

1975 GMC C-35