New to hardscapes. Need help!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Scag52inch, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

hello everyone,

ill start off by saying im 20 years old and have my own small lawncare company. i did this work for 2 years before going out on my own part way through last year. i offer mowing mostly but also do small landscape jobs. my question is this: i would like to be able to offer hardscape services as well as basic lawncare but i have never done much of this before. what is the best way to learn retaining wall and patios etc.? i dont have the time to work for someone else as i am pretty busy myself. are their training videos or off-season classes? any help or links would be very appreciated.

thank you
  2. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Obviously, learning from someone that knows alot about installing hardscapes is the best way to learn how to do it.

But check out

They have info on installing pavers and offer classes and seminars.

For walls, if you know what type of retaining wall block that you want to use and work with, check with a dealer near you and see if they offer seminars or workshops. I know Versa-Lok offers seminars that are free. Helps out alot.

Hope this helps alittle.
  3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Just about all of the manufacturers offer classes. I'm going to a VL seminar on Tuesday, and the following week I'll be going to a Belgard class. Like jreiff said, check with your dealer reps to find out when and where they are offered.

The NCMA (National Concrete and Masonry Association) offers a certification on segmental retaining walls. That is similiar to the ICIPI certification for pavers.

Remember, the classes will teach the basics, but you'll still have some hard knocks to learn on your own.:)

4. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

thanks guys this info really helped