New to hardscaping

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by grasscutter845, Oct 27, 2007.

1. grasscutter845

grasscutter845 LawnSite Member

Hello, Im 18 yrs old and i have been dong lawn maintenance since i was about 12. Now im looking to pick up my game, offer more to my customers and make my business grow.. How did you guys learn? Whats the best thing for me to do?? I have a basic idea about patios and walkways but the walls and everything else i need to learn..

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

work for a hardscaper 2-3 days when you are not cutting grass. or sub out some hardscape jobs that you get with the provision that you can work on the install crew for the duration of the job. read alot to understand the methods and apply the methods in the field and do it right. hardscapes should never be done half a$$ed. there is no shortcut.

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, work for someone who has been doing hardscapes for awhile to gain experience.

4. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

This forum has tons of information, and a bunch of top notch installers, take your time reading, reading, and reading some more, get a good feel for what is involved, extensively, before you make a big decision of enrolling in classes, or becoming an apprentice.