New to Irrigation - Pumps for running sprinklers off of Rain Catchment

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bdoss123, Mar 7, 2008.

1. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

I am trying to find out what the best type of pump would be to use to operate lawn sprinklers off of a rain cistern. Currently I would be using above-ground sprinklers, but might move to an in-ground system in the future.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me?

Thank you,

- Brendan Doss

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Have the pump guys do a "on demand" pump, use a Rain Bird automatic
    scrubber valve & filter on the first zone.

3. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth LawnSite Member

BURKE makes a decent sprinkler pump. Have had good luck with them. They have a 3/4 hp and a 1.5 hp modle that I know of. We always use the 1.5 on small to mid sized jobs. It has a 3700 Gallon per hour rating (65 gpm) at 5 feet suction or 3000 GPH at 20 feet suction. Dependent on nozzle size you could run up to 25 sprinklers but would recomend less sprinklers and larger nozzles. I think most above ground sprinklers are around 4gpm. Above ground sprinklers will tollerate alot of debris in water were as inground gear drives should be filtered from central filter. Hope that helps.

4. Mike Leary

Link??????????????????????:hammerhead::drinkup:

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

6. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Before you start buying pumps, calculate how much water it takes to water your lawn once, then compare that to the size cistern you have/can afford, then compare that to the average rainfall and the amount you can collect if you catch every available downspout.

Rainwater collection is a noble cause, but I think you'll find it more geared toward watering the flower beds and/or vegetable garden.

7. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

I am guessing he wanted to say Berkeley.

Link for the lazies...
    http://www.berkeleypumps.com/

8. Mike Leary

9. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth LawnSite Member

BURKE pumps as we know them.

Burcam-BURKE from laval Quebec
    www.burcam.com
    We purchase them through princess auto
    www.princessauto.com

Everyone should check out princess auto if they have a chance. When things go on sale prices are amazing. Realy neat and different store!!!! They carry army surplus, compressors, power washers, hoses, pumps, welders, HYDRAULICS, hand and power tools.

10. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Jeff,

Why so, just the volume of water involved? Here, we won't be able to water at all anytime soon, because we are on city water. I was thinking of a 330gal on each of 4 downspouts.

This is for my own home, not a customer/client.