New to Irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by tsh1773, Aug 9, 2006.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm don't have much experience at all in irrigation expect replacing broken sprinkler heads. In my yard I'd like to add one, maybe two heads that will extend from the line going to another head. How much trouble will this be.

I looked at Lowes yesterday at the 1/2" hose. I thought of using a T to add the new line to. Should I use hose clamps to hold the hose onto the T or how is that suppose to work. The T and elbows they had seemed loose in the hose.

Also it seems the head I'm extending off of has lost some of it's pressure. I replaced it and same result. I let it run for a bit with the head off thinking there might be a blockage in the line. We've had a new phase in the Subdivison added on recently. Do you think that's where my water pressure is going. I thought of calling the water company to get them to come out and test the line pressure.

2. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

*****Bump*****

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Fire up the zone you want to add the heads too, and check the nozzle sizes, look up the charts on the manufacturers website and calculate how many gallons per minute that zone is using.

Measure how many gallons per minute you have available (5 gallon bucket + stopwatch on a hose bib). If you have a lot more than the zone is using, your ok . Otherwise you will have to decrease the nozzle size in all the heads to make it work properly.

Second, don't run 1/2".

Third, if the line is poly, always use hose clamps, if its PVC, you'll glue.

Finally, Call a pro.