new to irrigation

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by TimNNJ, Jul 22, 2008.

1. TimNNJ

TimNNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I moved into my house about a month or so ago...came with an irrigation system...I programed it to go on at 9pm..30 min per zone

A. is that to early
    B. how long should I leave it on for?

Thanks T

2. michigander

michigander LawnSite Member

Around here, if you water that early, your setting yourself up to possibly get a fungus in your lawn. Like going to bed with wet pajama's. I like to start them about 5 in the morning where the zones are just getting done when the sun is starting to dry the grass blades off. Hopefully this keeps the fungus from starting. Golf courses water all night long, but the have a funguscide program to stop it. A lot of people think they save water by watering just before dark, not as much evaporation. You might be able to water at night and get away with it, but if you get the fungus, its a PITA to get rid of.:hammerhead:

3. TimNNJ

I just started last night at 9...its been very dry around here the past few weeks...I will switch it to 5am in a few...thanks for the heads up

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Tim, the length of time a zone runs has to be determined by what type of heads, what are they watering, the type of soil you have and many other factors. A simple first step is to water less often and deeply to get at least an inch of water per week to most plants needing irrigation, including turf. You can check the amount of water the sprinklers are putting out over a specific time period with rain gages or simple cups or cans with measured markings.

Here in NJ where the heat and humidity can play havoc, especially encouraging fungus, you have received excellent advice on the timing for to start your watering schedule. Typically you want the sprinklers to be finished when you awake and will need the shower or other water devices inside the home. If you have too many zones to finish, you may need to start earlier or split the application up over a couple or several days. You don't want to try and get the 1" or more in one soaking, as more than likely you will create runoff which is ineffective and wasteful.

Kirk

5. TimNNJ

Thanks for the advice...I will have it start at 5am and I will do the cut test in the morning..this was day two of heavy watering..think I had two times..one at 9pm and one at 5am...no more of that...thanks for the advice again