New to Landscape Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 3Caratz, Jun 2, 2005.

1. 3Caratz

3Caratz LawnSite Member

I need help in making an informed decision on equipment ranging from zero turns to walk behinds along with open or enclosed trailers. I live in Coram,NY on Long Island where the seasons are erratic to say the least. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 P/U and was looking to buy either an enclosed or open trailer. I was assuming that because I am just starting out I would be better off getting an open trailer due to the price difference. Can someone please offer some sane advise to help a newbie make a good decision.
    Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi 3Caratz,

How will you be storing your equipment? Can you put your trailer in a locked garage? Would it be better for you to unload it everyday or to have a locked enclosed trailer? Just some thoughts to consider.
  3. 3Caratz

3Caratz LawnSite Member

I have no problem storing equipment in my garage! I have been looking at open trailers and for the first season that would be the most reasonable. Also, all the equipment out there makes it awfully hard to choose what to buy but I am leaning towards an Exmark ZTR and possibly either a Hustler or Wright.
  4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get an enclosed, you will get tried of unloading every night.....if you get home late and you have an worries, lock it up and get some zzzz' trailer and you willl regret it...
  5. Brian135

Brian135 LawnSite Member

Get an Exmark
  6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds to me like your getting into the lawn maintenance business and not the landscaping business. I would go with an open trailer and then move onto an enclosed when business dictates...when the money comes in. An open trailer always comes in handy later on. Big trees....rock...mulch, junk?! All of these things fit nicely on an open trailer!
  7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

3caratz-As long as you have a garage to store your equipment, go with the open trailer, I used one for years. Truckloaders in smithtown has some good trailers and are reasonable. You probably would do OK with a 10' or 12'. As far as mowers, I love my Standers. I really wish I had bought one sooner... I ran with walk behinds for 6 years before I got smart and bought my first Stander. Depending on the properties you are doing, go with the biggest you can afford! Good luck!
  8. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i've got an enclosed sitting out in the field as I type this. what a PITA. it is a lot heavier, harder to back up cuz you can't see. the ramp in back is heavier, you can't jump in over teh sides to grab something, harder to keep clean, and costs a lot more to tow around.

get an open trailer with sides and tail ramp. don't put stuff in it you don't use all day.
    if unloading a trailer is a major hassle, then u shouldn't be in the mowing business.

when i mow i use the ztr, trimmer, backpack blower, and gas can. occasionally the 21 inch push mower. i hate using the push mower.