New to Landscape Lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Viking Aeration, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Viking Aeration

Viking Aeration LawnSite Member

Hi All,

Yes I am a new guy to this (Canada), I had a question after carful observation would it be fair to say that....

1 - the general public see's only the crappy lights you can get a Rona and Home Depot?

2 - There is a general lack of awareness of "professial LSL"?

3 - When I consider marketing should I only really look @ those homes that show good$$ income?? Meaning nice big homes or ones with good landscaping etc..etc..etc..

4 - Would it be fair to say-------"in a nice but regular subdivision filled with commuters and 2-3 kid families they wouldn't even look at it?"

5 - My reading is kinda pointng to the fact that really only the $$$$ homes or ones that show that off would even consider it....

6 - I have been told by my VistaPro Lighting rep here that most fixutures go for about $90-110 each but Good Landscape Lighting pers charge at leat $199 - $250 per light?????? what?? thats mega expensive!!! so its about $800 - $1000 for 4 lights? is this about right? (I can see whay those who have a extra 1k per week to simply toss around would be th only ones to target!#!$!!
    This certainly limits those prospects!

Anyway just trying to get a "handle" on this before I decide to go into it..

many thanks all!

2. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

before you can sell landscape lighting to someone you must first sell it to yourself. think about it.

3. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

It's true that professional landscape lighting is targeted to homeowners who are willing to pay at least around $2,500 for a lighting system. Some projects can exceed $30,000.

These prices are comparable to landscape design. In fact, many high-end homeowners pay hundreds of thousands for landscaping.

I think Desert has a good point, if someone wants to become a professional landscape lighting designer, he or she needs to be willing to get past being a fixture salesperson and fully embrace the creative side of lighting design.

Just as a fine art painter doesn't price his paintings so they can be sold at WalMart, in the same way, the best lighting designers don't try to sell their lighting to middle and low income homeowners.

On the other hand, there is a part of me that despairs for the lower income homeowners who must endure low quality fixtures and systems that they install themselves. I suppose in a communist society, everyone (or more likely, no one) would have high quality lighting. But this is not the world we live in, and excess discretionary income is the fuel that feeds the children of professional landscape lighting designers.

As to whether your market is too limited by targeting high income homeowners, this will not be a problem as your your portfolio grows. As Desert advises, the first step is to fully embrace landscape lighting design for what it is, a tremendously valuable enhancement to a homeowner's home, property and life. As you develop a love and passion for lighting, this passion will be felt by prospective clients and you will thrive in the business.

4. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to agree with Desert on this as well. Steve also brings up some great points. I know a few designers in Canada that do very well in this business and I believe that anyone who truly loves being a landscape lighting designer can be successful at it.

5. Viking Aeration

Viking Aeration LawnSite Member

Hey guys, thank you very very much for your input! Yes I will say that I really do feel I have a real zeal for this type of Service and sincerely there would be nothing I would like more than to slowely try to get started in this and learn as much as I can! Your both right! It is actually the Artistry, that really gets me and what draws me to this....I have the Vista Pro rep going to come to my place and give me a bit of assistance to get started, I am thinking of using my place as a simple trial run.....then hopefully if I can do a few jobs that look really really sharp, who knows....perhaps word will spread!

Again thanks guys,

If I have any q, I will put them here...

tks

6. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

Using your home is a good idea. I practiced different techniques at my home and it was one of the best things I did. The only problem is that now I have 3 times the lights that I was originally going to do......it almost seems endless in the things you can do.

7. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

Do not install Aluminum fixtures and dont install fixtures without a lifetime warranty. Copper or brass only.