New to Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DavidMowsAlot, May 5, 2009.

1. DavidMowsAlot

DavidMowsAlot LawnSite Member

Hello. Nice site. My name is David. I'm a 19yo starting my own lawn care business. I have purchased the best zero turn mower I could afford. I have a business name and am today purchasing shirts, caps, and business cards. I purchased Sean's lawn care ebook, and it was a great help. I have 3 lawns to date. I went to purchase my shirts, and picked up a lawn from the owner. I have always enjoyed mowing, and I need a job, so it seems like a good fit for me.

I have run into some who don't take me seriously because I am too young, but I am determined.

On my first lawn mowing job, I had a customer complain that my blades needed sharpening. I have a lot to learn, but I'm ready.
  2. DoWhatYouDo91

DoWhatYouDo91 LawnSite Member

so what equipment you starting out with?
  3. DavidMowsAlot

Well I just bought a Bad Boy 26 Horse 50 " cut mower and I use a new Homelite 25cc weed-eater and also I have a Homelite Blower. I got a good deal on the mower because there was a factory defect in the transmission that Bad Boy had to replace so the dealer gave us a deal on it along with the 6 months left on the factory warranty. It is only about 6 months old and in mint condition.
  4. BurrKing

BurrKing Inactive

David, Good Luck to You! There's a lot of information here on the website, and many people that can answer questions and give advise.

My two cents on sharpening. Sharpen every 8 hours depending on the kinds of lawns that you're mowing. Sandy soil, rocks, trash all take a toll on blades, and your blades can dull very quick. I trashed my blades in two hours the first time I cut my grass this year. We have a real problem at my house with moles this year and I cut more dirt and sand then grass.

With a little time, you will be able to tell just by looking at the cut grass blades and see if the blades need a touch-up. Keeping blades sharp will help the grass stay healthy and green grass equals green cash in your pocket.

Take care, and the best of luck to you.
  5. DavidMowsAlot

Just curious. You guys that have been doing this for a while, if you had to start over again knowing what you do now, what would you make sure to do. (with limited funds)
  6. DavidMowsAlot

I had a lady ask me to do her weekly lawn care. It was one of my first jobs. I was kinda excited. I figured expenses and gave her a fair quote of 40.00. She acted shocked and said she thought I should be able to do it for 15.00?! I said that I was sorry but I could not get my mower there and do the work for 15.00. Is this what I can be expecting? Is it because I am 19yo? Or is this common?