New to Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TriCityLawnEnforcement, Nov 1, 2011.

1. TriCityLawnEnforcement

TriCityLawnEnforcement LawnSite Member

Hey All,

I am new to the business and am from the Tri-City area of Virginia. I am currently a Police Officer (hence the pun of LAWN enforcement) and am starting small in hopes of growing a business before I retire in 7 more years. I am gonna try to focus on the small yards that the 'big boys' dont wanna fool with. I am putting myself out there as "Lawn Care" NOT "Landscaping" as I realize there is a world of difference and alot of people call themselves landscapers when all the do is cut grass. Landscapes may come later.

I am starting out with mostly good new equipment, Sthil trimmer, echo trimmer/edger, echo backpack blower, toro push mowers, Husqvarna saw. The only questionable item is my Craftsman (husky made) YTS 3000 rider. Buts its only 2 years old and will be good for first season. I am gonna offer basic cut/trim/blow, edging, hedge trim, leaf work, small (very small) tree work, trash out, light hauling, mulching, yard cleanup, and light duty residential snow removal/salting (concrete/hard surface).

This is a great site and hope to meet some people from my area.

Mike Bresko
    Tri-City Lawn Enforcement

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I think you will find that being a police officer will work to your advantage because customers will feel they can trust you.

Good luck.

3. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

4. pythons37

pythons37 LawnSite Member

I like your point about NOT calling yourself a Landscaper. I'm in a similar situation to yours. I retire in two weeks. I've got a couple of clients. No advertising of any kind, yet. Right now I use a 21" high wheel pusher. It is a very efficient and versatile machine. I am repairing a 46" very old Murray rider. We'll see where it goes. Love your company name. My motto is: " No lawn too small ".

5. KODAKMOWING99

KODAKMOWING99 LawnSite Member

yeah i dont think throwing 40-50 yards of mulch every year counts me as a landscaper either i do lawncare.i love lawncare and throwing a lil mulch from time to time,i do overseed,fert,and tree n shrub trimming but 90% mow.

6. Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Welcome aboard Lawn Enforcement. Be cautious on the LEO thing. As you know, some people think that because "you're" a cop and "they" pay taxes, you owe them. I was a cop before I went full time; my policy was "I don't advertise I'm a cop, and I don't hide it either". I never used it to sell a customer, sometimes a customer would ask if I had another job, then I would say "yes". When they asked specifically what I did, I told them. Your business will grow faster than you think, good luck. :usflag:

7. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a retired funeral director and embalmer and I never tell anyone.