"new To Lawn Industry And Need Info"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vanessa, Mar 28, 2004.

1. vanessa

vanessa LawnSite Member

Hello everyone :)

I am new to the lawn care business and don't know much but me and my husband plan on buying a business and was not sure if it was priced right, we currently sold our carpet cleaning business, and want to get into this,a lady is selling her 4 yr business for $34,000 that includes a dixie grass cutter, and a few weed machines, and 60 residential accounts, she says it makes $49,000 year and she has proof of her income tax,anyway its hard to decide if the biz is priced right, then there is another person selling one for $65.000 this includes 115 commercial/residential accounts, also includes a pick up truck and tons of tools,and makes $65,000 year.

I am so undecided about this, I mean this business seems great especially here in florida, but I am new at this and want to fidn as much info as I possibly can, let me know if you gusy knwo of any sites that would help me thanks

2. ludwiglawncare

ludwiglawncare LawnSite Member

Just my opinion, but why not buy of your own equipment, start slow, do good work, make sure it is what you want to do, and grow your business without the expense of buying accounts that may be unreasonable for you and your husband to manage or pains in the rear. Like I said, just my two pennies. Good luck no matter what you do. Neither of the two sound like they are setting the world on fire profit wise.

3. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

Does he have any experience in this business?

be careful about buying clients...i've had some given to me by people going out of the biz and there's no telling if they'll stay with you or not...might buy 60 and end up with 30.

then you've just spent 49k for a $6000 mower and yards it would have cost $1000 in advertising to get yourself...

then again if you're buying from this person and she has contracts (assignable contracts) that's something different alltogether.

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

...."Just my opinion, but why not buy of your own equipment, start slow, do good work, make sure it is what you want to do, and grow your business without the expense of buying accounts that may be unreasonable for you and your husband to manage or pains in the rear. Like I said, just my two pennies"

try paying your bills with 5 or 10 accounts.

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you know you will like to work in the heat of Florida every day. I would buy a used 36" or greater walk-behind and other equipment needed to get started, start advertising and see if you like it after the first year. Send out a lot of flyer's advertising your business in your local paper to get accounts.

Walk before you run unless you already have done Lawn care for others and already know you like it.

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Every time I see a thread like this it amazes me that people don't believe a going business can be a good deal. If you structure the deal correctly, work with an accountant or attorney that is familiar with the green industry. Try to get the current owner to agree to act as a trainer for a few months and then on going consultant. Business are bought and sold everyday, just because this is green related doesn't mean that it has no value.

7. vanessa

vanessa LawnSite Member

hey guys thanks for your response, your right about everything you have told us, and NO we have no experience in lawn care at all this is all new to us, what worries me the most is starting a business that takes alot of money to advertsise to get clients,

we are in florida and OH my in this business here there is sooo much competition, that we would have to spend alot of money on advertising, and also what worries me is that the accounts might come to slow and that we would not have enough money to pay our bills, we definately will be getting into this business, and liek you all said it woudl be better to just buy the stuff and do it myself, we are hardworkers and I am sure we can make it, but of course there is always that fear of not knowing how many clients we will get and how soon, anyway I am seriously thinking of taking yoiur advice and starting on our own, so you guys recommend any books or anyting to teach us lawn care in case customers ask questions, let me know by the way you guys are wonderful thanks

8. vanessa

vanessa LawnSite Member

Hi again, anyway the owners did say they would train us for a few months, they are telling me that they are selling the biz because they are moving out of the country, but I have my doubts, what if they start another business and take the clients, I know that there are some kind of contracts that they would have to sign that will not allow them to own a similar biz for 5 yrs withing our area, I have to fidn out if there customers are under contract, I belive they are not so it is pretty risky, by the way all they have is 1 dixie tractor and 3 weed eaters and nothing else, the biz is run by a husband/wife team

9. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

10. ludwiglawncare

ludwiglawncare LawnSite Member

kootoomootoo

What I was getting at was assisting the individual in making a large decision. How did you know this is what you wanted to do for a living?