1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to Lawnsite and here's My website...

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Rick13, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

I've talked to kirkmbrown2001 and he's been very helpful with ideas. Thanks Kirk!

I know I need to change my 2011 date on prices for aeration....but I am also going to add a "Slit Seeding Page" for My BillyGoat OverSeeder before Spring.

So any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

My friend Steve makes websites for a living, and I helped with the wording, pictures, and layout of the website.

Thanks Lawnsite Members for having such a helpful and informative website!
  2. Rick13

Anything to comment? I mainly try to aerate yards. That is why my website is geared towards aeration and not a ton towards mowing.

I think I will try something different this Spring for advertising. I read a ton of post on Lawnsite on how to generate new customers from posting on Craigslist, hanging door fliers, sending post cards, etc. They are all very good ideas!

But my idea is just to list my website "www.BestRockfordYards.com" in the Rockford Register Star (largest paper in Rockford Area) under the Service Section. The paper charges you by each line in your ad.

Last Fall my ad blended in with everyone else's ad. I did generate a lot of calls and work....but I didn't have My Website made then. This year I will have the paper print the website's address in large, bold, text...and I figure people will want to know what this website is all about. So the more people will type in my website, then the website will climb on Google search engine, why I receive new calls and new customers.

So this is one of my ideas for this Spring. I will let you know how my results come out. A simple web address and listing the website address in the area's largest paper for a month or two during aeration season!
  3. consultantnomo

consultantnomo LawnSite Member

Since your friend used a freebie online web site builder, I'll skip going through the code. Actually, never mind. I now see it's done in Flash. (sorry, I start typing as I go through peoples' sites, so it's stream of consciousness)

Content seems good, but since it's Flash via Wix.com's site builder, I have no idea if it's SEO friendly.

The home page scrolling photos, and their speed, are distracting, especially when coupled with the animated banner images. That's a lot of movement going on during page load. If they have a different way of showing a photo gallery, you might want to look into it.

"So the more people will type in my website, then the website will climb on Google search engine"

Search engine rankings don't work this way. The source of the traffic helps, not the amount.

Now, re: the web site builder your buddy used, their pull-out and footer "ads" are distracting and detracting from your overall goal of keeping people interested in what you're trying to get across, and that's lawn services, not links to take them away from your site to a free web site builder. I would have to imagine that, for a few bucks a month, you can upgrade to get rid of those distractions?

If you need any clarifications, just yell.
  4. Rick13

Thanks consultantnomo. It's a work in progress....and I know there are a lot of moving pieces on the first page...but after that...its tamed down some. Thanks for your comments.
  5. mikeylikesit5805

mikeylikesit5805 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kent OH

I like it alot!
  6. Rick13

Thanks mikeylikesit5805! I tried to do something a little different and not overload the customer with too many facts. But I've got a few more ideas that I will try to include in my site. But thanks again!
  7. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

1. I like the pay pal. I don't like that you put your pices up like that.

2. I like the page. the animation is nice so are the colors.

3. Look into some more services you can add. Core is fine and good but There is much more you can do, like lawn care.
  8. Rick13

Ticolawnllc, on the Paypal/Service page...how should I list my prices? Should I not put down square footage?

Yeah, I am going to add slit seeding, but not the prices...and for mowing...I've got enough accounts right now.....but may look into getting a few more mowing accounts in my neighbor. They are small, easy, and usually have no fences.
  9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see a problem with posting prices. It will help weed out the time wasters that are just price shopping. It's not like there is much variation from one yard to another when it comes to aeration.:usflag:
  10. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

Don't list your prices. Schedule estimates. Look at the lawn before you give up a price. Some lawns are harder than others. Also you can upsale seed and lawn cutting.