New to me dump truck....Maybe

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ksss, Nov 17, 2007.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

http://lakecitytruck.vihn.net/detail.asp?recordid=100179516&IndID=1&Cat=7

I have a truck similiar to this one sitting in my yard like an abandon puppy dog wanting a new home.

The bed is awesome, the truck is light... 12K fronts 40K rears, four bag air. 430 hp Detroit series 60 mileage is just over 7 large. The frame is not doubled but has a subframe for the bed. Again not overly heavy duty. These trucks are former Walmart trucks. Ten speed tranny....did I say the bed is awesome.

Very nice driving. Very comfortable for the most part. Little louder in the cab than the 1990 378 Pete I sold with my side dump.

Negeotiating trading in two older IH trucks for this one and of course about 25K. Any thoughts other than the price is high for a highway spec. dump truck?

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

What are your considerations as far as having a tag axle?

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It could be done but the hyd tank and battery box would have to be moved. There is room for one. A drop axle would be nice. The tires are new or nearly so, I wish they were 24.5 and not 22.5, I would consider losing one of the fuel tanks as I don't need to hold 350 gallons of fuel at a time.

4. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

thats too much money bottom line for that truck

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Looking at the pictures then looked at the price holy crap I wouldn't touch that truck with a 10 foot pole at that price. A truck like that as a tractor would only be worth 15,000 dollars with 20,000 being the highest. The box is 15 grand. The truck is 20,000 dollars over priced.

There is a guy on HEF with the same truck he has to change the front axle but I think he is going to sell his truck.

Problems with that truck the first one it has the small block series 60 the 2nd problem its got a 10 spd 3rd problem its got a set back axle that is rated at 12,000lbs. The fact the truck isn't double framed isn't a big deal you can put inserts into it. The 40,000lb rears are not the greatest but if you stick on pavement they should be alright. I would rather have 22.5 rubber over 24.5 it is slightly cheaper.

Keep searching you will find something better.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That truck is way overpriced for an OTR conversion. My buddy bought an '89 Pete with an 18' foot box, lift axle, 425 HP Cat I think it is with an 18 speed for somewhere around $40K about a year ago. I'm personally not a fan of Detroit diesels and that 10 speed could be a little challenging at times in them thar hills. Just my .02

7. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is too high of a price for the truck. The Series 60 Detroit are good motors but they don't have the resale of a Cat and in some cases Cummins. Another things is IH and Freightliner don't have the resale of a Peterbilt. My buddy just bought a top notch W-900 Long nose Kenworth with leather intereior, 550 Cat, and I think it's the 84" sleeper for about the same money. Granted this has a good dump bed but they are just asking too much for the truck. It has the rimms you will have to paint all the time also which for me would I go be against it.

8. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Kenworth's have high resale also and of course they are owned by Pacar. Kenworth and Peterbilt are the top dogs in my book. If you want something at a good price though by a Freightliner, IH, Sterling, or even a Mack.

9. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the others. That truck is way overpriced and if the mileage is correct, I wouldn't go near it even if it was 25K less. Keep looking, you can find something better.

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The mileage is a concern but not the biggest. I will have it blow by tested. I have not owned a Detroit Diesel (bigger than a 6.5TD). I have asked around and they are way cheaper to rebuild certainly than CAT and they get decent mileage. Your correct they will not resale like CAT or Cummins. It has plenty of go (especially when your used to an L-10) and the reduced resale is not likely an issue for me.

Price really is the big issue as I figured it would be. He came down to $50K rather easily. The truck at auction is a 30-35K truck. Some advantages are the trucks are maticulously maintained, there are 5 of these trucks running locally and have some have had them almost a year. I have spoke to almost all the owners and not one negative comment from any of them. One of the owners is gravel pit operation and they plan on buying another one (likely the one in my yard if I don't take it). I really would like to just trade my trucks in 85 2300 and 84 2574 both with L-10s both good, solid trucks. If he will give me what I want, I may do the deal. He is already having issues with my number on the single axle truck. It is not likely to happen. The search goes on. Oh. I did an informal resale evaluation. It appears that across the board KW has the best resale value. I personally perfer the seating position in a Pete better.

The ten speed is not the Super Ten the gates are close together. It would take some getting used to. I prefer the 24.5 tires to get the truck off the ground when off road.