New to me, how to expand mower width

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 Black Thumbs, Aug 28, 2002.

1. 2 Black Thumbs

2 Black Thumbs LawnSite Member

I saw this earlier today, while driving past cemetary: This guy had a rider mower with a T-hitch on it so he could drag two push mowers attached behind the rider, both of the mowers were offset at about the same distance, either left or right of where the rider was cutting. He had to pull-start each mower and they were not connected, besides the tow connection to the rider mower. He must of got a cutting of about 70" per pass.;)

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

2 Black Thumbs - Here is a Flex-Deck on a 36" eXmark Hydro Viking making it into a 54" wide mower
    [​IMG]

36x-angle mowing2.jpg

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Front View of the same machine
    [​IMG]

36x-angle mowing.jpg

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The more things a machine can do the worse it is at any given task.

Get a variety of mowers- all sizes!

6. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Im not quite sure that makes complete sense, considering all alternatives or situations....???...??

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

they are called gang mowers or trail mowers you can get them at tractor supply . i think there mainly used with ATV's . BUNTON used to make them they were 52" decks with out the handle bars on them . you could pull up to 4 of them with a tractor with a belly mower on it

i think that guy at the cemetary was looking for trouble :dizzy:

trail mower.gif

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Those tow-behinds only have 12HP pushing a 60" deck.

If you're pulling it behind the average 25HP ZTR, you'll have to go so slow "waiting" for the tow behind to chew its cud that you'll cancel out any advantage. What I mean is, given the turning ability you lose and ground speed you'll lose, in the final analysis you will probably cut as much or more grass with a 60" ZTR, way more with a strong 72" ZTR.

Plus, you'll have to transport the thing, etc.

KB

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Just gave me a great idea to a intresting concept I will E-mail you about.

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I think we all need to start carrying our cameras every day, so when we see this stuff, we can share it. Windshield time is a part of our jobs, and I personally see a lot of strange things out there, so I'm putting my camera back in the truck today.
    Crawdad