New "to me" Lesco 48" - questions!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capecodlawn, Apr 20, 2008.

1. capecodlawn

capecodlawn LawnSite Member

Guys, I've been running the Exmark 36" belt drive. Expanding my business and picked up a used Lesco 48" hydro with 150 hours.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the following:

1) Below the shoot was installed a "stiffener assembly" - what is the purpose and can it be removed ?

2) When mowing my own lawn today, I noticed leaves being blown away from the front of mower and not being "sucked in" ?

3) Unlike the Exmark, the lesco uses spacer’s above/below the spindle and above/below the caster. Presently I have it set at -- Spindles 1 up 4 down and caster 2 up 2 down. According to the table this = 3" cutting height. But man on my lawn it left the grass pretty long and seemed to be pushing the grass over rather then cutting ?

And finally, I picked up two new sets up blades and of course there is no edge on these blades, do you all put an edge on factory blades before using or are they good to go?

Thanks all...so use to exmark and nice cut something seems "wrong" thus far???

Brian @ CCL

2. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

Its my experience that a 36 will pick up leaves a LOT better than a 48, the leaves blowing up front is normal. I never used to use the 48 to do the final clean, only mulching of leaves.

3. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know what the stiffener is . Yes the leaves blowing out the frount is normal. About the cutting height, you will have to measure it yourself. The table was useless on mine so I made my own. As far as blades go I use scag blades on mine and they come sharpened from the dealer.

4. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

I have a Lesco and usually keep the spacers on the casters at 2/2 seems to keep the deck more level. I adjust using the spacers on the blade holder bolt.

5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Those new blades have an edge. After you do some mowing that black coating will wear off to reveal it.

I sharpen my every 10 to 15 mowing hours.

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

1 yes you can take it off
    2 blowout is normal
    3 what bolts are the deck mounted in that makes a difference in the height