New (to me) marketing idea i just came across

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GraZZmaZter, Sep 13, 2007.

1. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I was poking around on another site and came across someone talking of long cylinder-shaped clear baggies that fliers are inserted into, along with a rock. They are than ultimately launched from vehicles to land securely in people's driveways!?!?!

My initial reaction was ... is that legal? Than i started thinking ... why havent i thought of that, its almost too easy! Gotta be a catch somewhere.

Anyone ever heard of/tried this method of advertising? What were the results?
  2. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

Yes , I do that with flyers, it beats trying to tape them to a mail box pole or putting them on doors.

It works, how well ? Who knows depending what your offering and when,
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

And you come across as the lazy/trashy landscaper who doesnt have the time to walk to the persons front door to sell your goods! Classy, you'll get far this way. NOT.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with it, it's just not that popular for several reasons...
    It's more work for you stuffing, and it costs a little more as well.

But, you'll get a ton more put out, it adds up.
  5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

It's a stupid method.

Can you imagine people standing on their lawns and watching you coming down the street throwing trash on every ones lawn? Be lucky if someone didn't phone the cops on you.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This has been discussed a hundred times. The vast majority of the people who have tried it have vouched that it is not that successful. they have done it with rocks, grass seed, and wildflower seed. If I found it in my driveway, it would go straight into the garbage. I know several others that feel the same way. We've come up with our own technique that we will be doing in some of our suburban areas next spring. We are doing some right now, and it seems to be working - even at this time of year.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

well dont be shy whats your secret??
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Aw,...everybody would call me crazy!
  9. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I save 'em up and give it to the dead end, lowball customers...... "Here, I heard this guy cuts real cheap":waving:

I don't know how a person can litter a whole neighborhood with thier phone # and not wind up paying a fine, per occurance.
  10. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Well, we found out the hard way that it is illegal in OUR city. The ordinace states that we can pass out fliers, but we have to have them in approved packaging to hang on door knobs, never on mailboxes, we must stay on sidewalks and only left on occupied homes, etc. etc.

We had to go back and pick up what wasn't already picked up by the homeowners, and we only got 1 good job out of it. Live a learn.