1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New to me Skid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by jmacd, Aug 3, 2013.

1. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

I bought a new skid steer to add to our LS160 tire machine that I bought in 2002. The LS160 has been a good machine so I went with a New Holland track machine C185.
    Photo:
    DSCN0462 (Medium).jpg

I have used the machine on the last project we did and I am very impressed. Coming from a tire machine to this is a huge jump. The machine has 2 speed, air, hi flow, hydro quick attach, radio, all things we lived with out for the last 10 years.

I realize that most buy other brands in other parts of the country but here we have a very good New Holland dealer so New Holland is it. The brand doesn't matter to me as much as the local service.

Just thought I would share. Pretty excited about owning this level of skid steer.

The only problem I have now is my skid trailer is not wide enough so I have to purchase a deck over tailer if I want to move it with a truck other than the dump truck like a pick up truck.

DSCN0462 (Medium).jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Very nice machine. I'm a big fan of new holland.

3. Southern Heritage

Southern Heritage LawnSite Member

Our local sod distributer has 4 new Hollands that load people with all day. I really enjoy them. Our service sucks here so I stick with JD. To me service is more important then the machine cuss they all gunna break

4. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont get me wrong new hollands are good machines ( i own 3) but i previously owned a c185 (2006) and it was nothing but problems. I was constantly going through idlers, and went through 2 drive motors within 700 hours. The machine was just out of warranty and i ended up paying around 6k each plus my guys labour to install them. And at the time when the last drive motor went i got the very last one in the world. They where on quite a back order at the time. There was a common problem where a seal goes out in the back of the drive motor . Make sure you check the oil level in the drives every couple hundred hours , and really really clean around the drive (ecspecially behind it where the dirt hides and is very hard to get) Besides that it was a great machine when it ran. I now have a 2009 c175 with only a 150 hours on it which i am very happy with and havent had a single issue. How many hours are on your unit?

5. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

This machine is 2009 with just 1000 hrs on it. Sure hope we dont have the same problems you had. Like I said the dealer is good and I know he will stand behind the machine for a while for any big issues.
    I payed a little more than shopping country wide for the best price because he will fix it for a while.

Thanks for the positive comments appreciate them.

6. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

No problem! Now we need some pictures of her at work!

Cheers

7. swanny

swanny LawnSite Senior Member

I think a Pequea trailer or similar might work. They extend their fenders out from the main frame - 84" of room between fenders, if I remember correctly. I so dislike loading my deckover with heavy skids.

8. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

It will fit on a Kaufman trailer.

9. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

Agree Kaufman would a good choice, under $5000 for a trailer that would work.
    I have this one for sale, to big for a pick up truck and to small for a tri-axle with 20 tons on it. A 5500, 4500, single axle dump etc. size truck would work nicely with this trailer. I want $3500 for a 12ton trailer with electric.

DSCN0474 (Small).JPG

DSCN0474 (Small).JPG

10. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

The Kaufman tilt with the fixed deck is nice. Easy on and off for you and the machine and plenty of deck for the attachments.