new to me tamp

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by BrandonV, Jan 31, 2008.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

picked this up on ebay, as usually not quite as nice as promised but I think a pretty good deal. works mechanically well, but smoking a lot, might need new rings or could be smoking from the shipping. anyways happy compacting.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

So how good of a deal was it?
  3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

thats a honda for you. every honda i have seen on a compactor eventually burns oil and smokes.
  4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

If anyone ever bothered to read the instructions on plate tampers, they recommend idling the engine for 5 minutes AFTER you use it to coat they cylinder walls with oil. We have a Stowe tamper, and so does a associate of ours. We've always idled ours and they never have. Theirs smokes too.
  5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

The last used diesel plate I ever bought will be the LAST USED diesel plate I ever BUY. I bought a used bomag in 2002 and spent more money fixing that damn thing, so I threw it in the garbage last fall. I had a quote to replace a ring gear in the base, I think it was for 4k to fix it. People get rid of equipment like that because its usually in need of major servicing, if it wasn't they wouldn't be selling unless they were going out of business.
    I really hope you bought it for a steal. Good luck with your purchase.
  6. BrandonV

$1500 american, from the looks of it to me they didn't shut the fuel off when the transported it and I think the fuel worked it's way down into the oil. I'm going to change the oil and filters and see if that helps, mechanically it worked great so worst case scenario I'll put another engine on.
  7. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

What happens is... if they don't shut the fuel off, or the unit gets tilted..say it topples over in the back of a truck... the float in the carburetor will not seat properly and flood with fuel. This fuel will fill the intake manifold.. pour into the cylinder and soak down past the rings into the engine oil. A bad case crank it and the whole thing explodes. I knew someone with a 1968 mustang that cranked it and blew the oil pan right off the engine. The most common problem is diluted oil that will not lubricate and/or smoke. I'd clean the whole thing up and pull the fuel bowl off. I bet it's gritty and probably has some water in it.
  9. BrandonV

Wacker bpu 3545a