New to me truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cantoo, Sep 16, 2007.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Just bought another truck, 95 Chev 2500 with 119000 kms. It was a City Hydro truck and used by supervisor so low miles but high hours. It has 5900 hours on the clock which still isn't real bad. I have a 93 diesel 3500 with a hoist and it's getting rough enough so it's time to go. Gonna use the new one for this fall as is but winter will see the box go, a new flatbed and post hoist will be built and installed. Rear hitch will be beefed up and front hitch installed for leaf loader to mount on. We don't put lots of miles on per year so not worried about the age. I wated a diesel but none available for what I wanted to spend. I like my diesel but the low miles per year don't warrant the extra cost. This also gives me a little more time to find a cheap diesel. I have a buddy waiting to buy my old one to use to haul firewood.
    I can't wait to rip it apart and start the welder. Did I mention it's a mello yellow, my old one was bright orange? Might actually paint this one.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Any pictures? I guess I will be first to ask.

3. cantoo

No pictures of the new one yet but here is one of the old one. New one will look the same when done. I was considering a newer cube van too but it was a 20' box and that's too big for me. 95 Ford diesel 20' cube with 200,000kms for Can $2700.00 Pretty cheap I thought. Was used to deliver potato chips. We have a 91 chev 16' right now.

4. cantoo

5. cantoo

Here's a couple of pics after the stickers and reflective tape was taken off. It's on it's way to be saftied tomorrow. Doesn't look like it will need much. Wife wants to leave the box on and keep the other truck. She's the only one who drives them and I don't think she needs two trucks and a cube van for herself. I think she thinks of them as shoes???
    Yes, the doors are a little different colour, they painted over the name.

truck1a.jpg

truck2a.jpg

6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a pretty nice truck. It looks like a work truck being painted yellow and all. I sorta like the yellow paint but I am not sure if I would keep it or not.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i see its got a new door why did they paint over the emblem but thats a solid looking truck you got there

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Safety yellow. Good choice. :laugh:

Sharp looking pickup.

9. cantoo

The paint under the yellow on the doors is white on the outside only. The only thing we can figure is that the emblem was there and they painted over it. I am going to try some stripper to see if I can get the sheety yellow and white off and leave the original yellow on.
    Just got it back from safety check tonight. Total cost to safety was $225.95 insurance is $306 per year. I always try to buy ex municipal trucks, they have to be safetied every year so they usually don't need much to safety when I buy them. Last truck was under $100 to safety. The mechanic who did the safety asked if I would consider selling it, he wants a daily driver. I asked him to check the engine and drivetrain while he was at it and he says everything is great. It was under coated with some kind of oil and then blasted with sand to preserve it. Unfortunately I thought it was road sand and pressured washed most of it off before I realized something was unusually about it. It looks like a factory truck under the sand.. oops. Cost of the truck was $4058.67, the safety was $225.95 all in all a pretty cheap truck. Gonna throw a for sale sign on it anyway there will always be more and everything I have is for sale for the right price anyway.