1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to Northwest Ohio and looking to begin a business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by joncoope, Jun 2, 2006.

1. joncoope

joncoope LawnSite Member

Hello to all, I have been reading for some time now, with hopes that after my wife and I moved to Ohio that I could begin a business. Am I too late in the season to begin one? Target next year, or what? I am unsure how to get started, since most business and residentials have most likely got their service provider by now.

Any and all tips would be great. The money to get a new rider isn't a problem, or trailer, it's just the apprehension of not knowing how to begin.

Thanks for any advice.

2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome! :drinkup:

When I started up a few years ago, I started in August. I wanted to get my feet wet and learn the business at a reasonable pace. I still acquired 27 accounts for that partial year. The way I look at it is residents may have someone in place as of now, but is their quality just good enough to get by with? Do residents want more than what they are getting? I have acquired accounts through the past 3 years, and probably 1/3 of them already had a company servicing their properties. If you have outstanding quality in your work and a professional attitude and work ethic, you can pick up accounts with some work. It is easier to do that late in the year here in Florida, but I don't think the beginning of June is too late in Ohio. That's my opinion though. Some Lco's here from that area might disagree, I'm not sure. But take advantage of easing into the business and learn it all. The business side of things mostly. It's not all about running a mower and holding your hand out for money.

My best advice to you is glue your eyeballs :eek: to this site and read, read, read until you feel like your eyeballs are bleeding, then read some more!!! I can't begin to tell you how all of these guys and gals here have helped me and my business. Learning everyday!!
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

once again, im not saying this to duscourage you, but think carefully about this one.... it is a very depressed area, more factories closing all the time... have been for years..... all those guys are cutting lawns....

but, you have to register your name with the state,.... apply for any local business license, apply for a vendors license from the state and collect slaes tax.... and you need to have liability insurances.....commercial insurance on vehicles and commercial plates.....

maybe try some research and see if your area can support another company.....

i think its late to start but not too late.... get a few clients you will be lucky to get 4 or 5..after your legal and advertise hard next year.....
  4. joncoope

joncoope LawnSite Member

Toledo is a crap hole, trust me I know that. I am in the Sandusky, Ohio, area where there is plenty of country, not city. There is more than enough to go around in these parts. Thanks for the words of discouragement though. :)

Where do I go to apply for these things you speak of?
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

perfect, im not in toledo , but im close enought to sandusky to know better.... after ceder point closes, so does sandusky.... its a very poor, area, no real development , all vacation homes..where do you get your information on the demographics of sandusky, have you done a business plan.....have you looked in the phone book at how many existing companies there are

i know 3 guys in sandusky who quit this year after trying for 3 to 5 years..and THEY had previouos experience...dont say i didnt warn you.... i was being helpful,

start at the state web site, its all there, i dont have the link anymore.... good luck