1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to Pex!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Apr 25, 2008.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We are finding a lot more Pex plumbing the last couple of years. Probably the new wave.

I notice the ID of Pex is less than copper or PVC. I am curious as to the GPM of PEX compared to same size copper or PVC.

I am looking at 3/4" Pex within 3' of a 1" meter with a 1 1/4" service line. I can tap into the output of the meter which is reduced to 3/4". It goes immediately to 3/4" Pex.

Easiest for us is to tee from the PEX to 1" service for our irrigation. If we install a 3/4" bullnose tee for our 1" POC, it would seem that we would reduce the pipe size of the PEX even further.

I am looking for feedback as to the GPM through PEX pipe when using insert fittings.

Thanks to all of u plumbers.

2. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the pipe immediately after meter 1" copper or 3/4" pex?
  3. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

It is reduced to 3/4 copper off of the meter fitting.

Immediately goes to PEX. No more than 2' from meter is where we are looking to tap into PEX.

Again, the PEX fittings are insert and will reduce the ID of the pipe so am looking for GPM of inserted PEX 3/4" fittings.

Of course, I am looking for comparable GPM of PEX with insert fittings versus copper or PVC of the same size.

If we have an input line of 1" and a meter of 3/4" and a short piece of 3/4 of 3' or so, we will use our gpm for the 1" line.

But the PEX would appear to be a different animal.

Thanks for your help.

4. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I'd want the largest size I can get (with copper) tee off the meter to go to the irrigation main and then re-hook the house main line to it's PEX.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Why not connect a 1-inch brass tee to the meter tailpiece, and leave the PEX out of the equation?
  6. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Pex - love it or hate it, or both. Up here, everything has been pex for decades. Water service into the house is pex, the meter connections are pex, the whole house is pex'd. The biggest challenge is that 1/2" and 3/4" pex is standardized. Once you get past that, it is a very tricky animal. We have some subdivisions here that are running 1" and 1 1/2" services to the house. Fittings are not standard between houses; it is virtually impossible for someone without a plumbing license to get 1 and 1 1/2" fittings as they are considered "commercial"; we end up having to get a licensed plumber in to do the simple task of cutting a "T" in. Of course, we've learned to find out which firm plumbed the house originally and have them come back to deal with it as different companies don't stock the fittings for the other variations of 1 and 1/2" fittings.....
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what we always did. We didn't even have the pex tools.
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, I avoid it like the plauge.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You could probably use waterworks compression fittings for a secure tie-in, if you had to cut the PEX.
  10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Did one in a new development last fall. House had copper , pex and pvc.Was the first time I ever saw pvc on resi potable water in Mass ever.