new to plowing

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by karl klein, Mar 19, 2001.

1. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

i am going to start plowing for my self next year and wondering when you guys find your jobs and how you go about finding potential customers

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Till you get a reputation as a great plower.

Run in add in a local paper. After you develope a good rep, the calls just come in on there own.

That and stick around this place, and read the postings.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 03-19-2001 at 09:45 PM]

3. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Karl, what part of Omaha are you in? I doubt that an ad in the Omaha World Herald would be practical. Too big an audience.

Mick

4. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Karl

Welcome to the site and welcome your worst nightmare and your wildest dream.
    In all seriousness this is the place for any information that you could need about plowing. A very good cross - section of the populace.

Bruce

5. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

mj
    i am in west omaha mainly but if need for the right money i can plow anywere i will be using a 8ft blade and a reciever sander so i figured small bussiness would be the best if we have a heavy snow i could rent a bobcat

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Finding a loader after a big storm, is sometimes harder than finding a needle in a hay stack.

Geoff

7. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Karl, West Omaha? I'm jealous. High end residential and small business (for those who don't know). There should be a Chamber of Commerce that puts out a newsletter you could put an ad in. Maybe some contracting for the city?

Good Luck,
    Mick

8. torque20

torque20 Banned

Most people start out by low-balling or under - bidding the hard working guy down the street, if that dont work, try knockin on some doors , but then again it s back to stealing work again.. see some people can afford to have a landscraper and that would be stealing, so try asking someone who plows a large lot , see this way you can bounce off of a piles of snow and keep safe away from the public .. hopefully, good luck!

9. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Karl

You seem to be on the right track by asking questions first. Sometimes it works well if you know someone in the business to sub for another contractor in your first year or two. You can get started in the right direction by learning from an experienced plow contractor. Either way the majority of the people are here to help and respond in good faith to your questions.

Bruce

10. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

While torque has a point or two in that garbled message of his, dont feel like you are stealing work. However be warned that there are customers that will price out work every year no matter what. they will always say that we not happy with the guy we had last year, even tho the service was fine. Dont get the metality that you have to bid low to get work. It simply isnt true, if more of the plowing contractors kept reasonable margins, we as a whole would get more respect. that is what SIMA has been trying to do, and this forum as well has helped a great deal.
    Look in the classifieds come about August or Sept, many school systems put their bids out about then. Also every 3-5 years most contracts come up for renewal, so ask around. If all else fails, sub for a larger company.
    If you want to knock on doors and or low ball work, thats ok to, we live in a free enterprise economy, but low balling is a fast route to failure.
    Keep your truck in good working order, and have back ups available.
    Dino