New to pond design, looking for professional advice.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by ABeautifulCutAboveInc., Aug 12, 2007.

1. ABeautifulCutAboveInc.

ABeautifulCutAboveInc. LawnSite Member

Hello, I'm new to pond design and construction. I would like to start a new branch of my business dealing with ponds, waterfalls ect. I'm looking for professional advice in which steps to take first. I'm young, I learn fast and have common sense. But, I need knowledge before taking on something like this. Do you professional reccommend books, classes or what. Thank you very much for your professional advice and guidence.

2. me1223

me1223 LawnSite Member

Read everything you can, there's tons of info on the web. There are classes available most places, if you want to take one I say go for it, otherwise, build one at home, but build at least one before you start doing it for a customer. There are also a variety of books on the subject some are very good and others aren't worth the paper they're printed on. I would suggest going to a bookstore and reading through some of them and picking up the best one or two.

3. ABeautifulCutAboveInc.

ABeautifulCutAboveInc. LawnSite Member

Thank you for the reply. I plan on starting one at my own house in a couple weeks. Thanks again. I'll also start checking the web.

4. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

Around here there are several opportunities to go "help" build a waterscape and learn how it should be done.

Most of the time your local suppliers will be putting this on, or atleast have the information on it.

5. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

I build ponds in Tulsa and have quite a bit experience doing large scale commercial and small scale residential. Taking classes and reading info. is a great way to learn. Aquascape Designs has Build a Pond Days all over the country and are willing to teach you how to build a pond so it looks and functions naturally. I would look at as many pics on the web as possible to get a feel for what natural looks like. In my research I have noticed that 95% of pics on the web are not natural looking. Flagstone stacked up with water flowing out the top is not natural. Customers love natural and your business will grow because of it.

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

preach on my good man

7. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I got my start with Aquascapes build a pond day. It was fun and educational.

8. dallas05

dallas05 LawnSite Member

build a pond days,pondbuilders bible book,videos all by aquascapes also maybe find a local builder and ask to help out on a pond build for free to get some hands on time and then definetly try one at your home if you can.

9. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Few things are natural about the way a pond you construct in someone's lawn functions LTL. I too like the way a well-constructed pond, that appears to be naturally occurring looks though. I've seen some on here that were extremely well done.

As far as Aquascape Design goes, a lot of their design ideas leave a lot to be desired.

10. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

To each his own.