New to repair shop business here need help.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kandklandscape, Oct 24, 2007.

1. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Just started a repair shop business up. Need help with accounting part such as doing invoices, keeping track of hours etc. Do they make a program for repair shops? I have quickbooks, but prefer to have something for repair shops. I know our local mechanic has a program, but never got around to asking him, so I firgured I would post here lol

Thanks much, all help appreciated.

2. kandklandscape

from PA

This is a lawn mower, snow blower, outdoor power equip, small engine repair shop also, forgot to add that.:sleeping:

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Quickbooks. That's your basic need for your accounting. It will track your work, gross, direct and indirect expenses, inventory, payroll, taxes, etc..

4. kandklandscape

from PA

joe

that is what we use for landscaping. however we want to have a repair shop type of system, like when you go to the car repair shop and they give you a bill, that type of system

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I would suggest you start out with some standard "appliance repair" 2 part forms on paper first. Which manufacturers are you set up with as an authorized sales/service dealer for?

And yes, there are a large number of "industry specific" software programs. Pricing for a generally reliable program and setup may run from $1500 and up.

Just start out using QB for your invoicing and everything. QB can print invoices and keep track of customers, etc.

6. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

just google it, probably find a bunch

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Another idea would be perhaps ask some of the facilities around you what tyoe of programs they use. I'm wondering if you go to the repair forum on this site, and post this, if you might have some luck. I'm thinking - there are some guys on here that work for shops, as I have seen them reply to questions before.

8. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

my suggestion.... Go to Office Depot/Staples...Whatever is in your area and buy the blank "small engine repair" carbon copy forms to start with. Then after a few repairs, look into purchasing there software they have set up for small home based business small engine/automotive repair shop. Its nice, relatively cheap ($149.00) and looks really decent, have a buddy who bought his for the small engine/auto repair he does out of his home and the repair orders/customer invoices look really nice. Hope this helps.