1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to ride on mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WhohasHelios?, Mar 27, 2005.

1. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

Alot of you guys will find my new purchase a little pansyish..but I do more scaping than lawn maintenance, so i dont really need much more than this.
    I just purchased alot of stuff, including advertising, phone number and equipment from a friend who has had enough of the biz.

The lawn tractor I purchased from him is a 2000 John Deere LT133. 12 HP...Little guy i know..but it will mow what i need it to.

I got a smoking deal on it, and its been kept indoors since day one.

The transmission works well except for going into reverse...Mind you, it worked fine the first day i used it..

Is this something that is common with ride ons?

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

A busted reverse gear is probably not unusual for units with a lot of mileage on them, but you'll have to get it fixed in any case.

The real problem with mowers of that class is that they just won't produce nearly as much as a low-end commercial walk-behind. I have a Deere L110 with the automatic tranny (Kohler Command 17.5, 42" deck), but my eXmark Metro (kawasaki 12.5, 36" deck) is a lot more productive.

Doesn't mean they're bad units, just means they're slow if you're doing this for money.
  3. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

Fair enough...Just to clarify though..Reverse does in fact work, I guess i didnt really make that clear the first time. It is just really sticky, and pretty much has to be held in position to keep the actual shift lever in place.

I did have it checked out too by a dealer here who offered him or me the exact same price i was paying for it, on the spot.