new to riding a ztr but how?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contourbs, Jul 29, 2004.

1. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

how do you do straight lines,when your at the end of the line to do the next one.how do you do the turn.is it a 3 point turn.if so when i do it it makes marks in the grass.

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I get my lines real straight by focusing my eyes directly across the lawn on the other side where I want the end of the line to be & drive mower staight to it. As far as turning it depends on if your on flat ground or sloped hill. Flat ground turns with outside wheel spinning forward while inside wheel turns back a little. Sloped turn are 3 pt facing to the up hill side most turns (takes a little practice).

3. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I have one property that has a curb for several hundred feet and then grass on both sides. Every time I mow it I follow the curb with my eyes until it quits and when I get to the end of the strip, I've mowed off at an angle to the right. I spend so much time watching the curb I can't focus on another object ahead.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I always go around the perimeter twice before I start striping. Gives you more room to line up the strips.

5. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

For me I really concentrate on the very first line, and getting it really straight. I can base the rest of the lines off the first one with no problems.

6. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I pick two objects past the far end of the property, drive toward them and maintain the same horizontal perspective. Example, I may pick a fence post in the next yard and a window on a house in the next block. The further the objects are apart, the more accurate your line will be.

Now actually driving that straight line depends on the terrain and speed of your mower.

The turn I perform at the end of a row depends on the turf conditions, but I always cut at least one pass on the entire perimeter before starting on the rows.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I cut the first line as straight as possible and the next you just follow your lines. I do the outside "frame" after because it takes care of any turn marks I've made.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

very true............ If I need to correct a crooked line I will do it over 3-4 strips.

9. seymour_glass

seymour_glass LawnSite Member

Basically, for making straight stripes, just don't look to much in front of you, but look farther off. Like everyone said its easier when you focus on an object.

And if you f-ck up a line and make it crooked, especially one of the first few, don't even bother going on before going back over to straighten it, cuz otherwise the rest of the lawn will just be crooked.

Crooked stripes just suck.

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

you can do like I did....I bought my Z in the dead of Winter....

I then learned how to use it mowing baseball fields for the churches in my area...for free....talk about fun...you will make mistakes. and pick up accounts....

Churches are good revenue...