New to site-2 cycle oil question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mach9, Aug 19, 2003.

1. mach9

mach9 LawnSite Member

I've been lurking around here a little while and have question. I am looking for you guys recommendation on the best 2 cycle oil, both crude and synthetic. I have just opened a small engine/mower shop and want to stock a small amount of oil for my customers.
    Also, any other shop owners/techs out there that want to throw any advice my way, I'd really appreciate it. Any help I can get making this thing profitable would be a godsend. Are there any other sites/forums you would recommend to somebody opening a new shop? I'm in NC. Thanks!!!!! MJ

2. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

alot of your question depends on what if any wholegoods you will carry. most manufactures require dealers to carry their brand of oil (Stihl, Echo, LawnBoy, etc). But just in general Stihl or Echo are great - personally I do not like the synthectic oils. Remember you CAN NOT mix synthetics even with another synthetic. Good Luck in your business

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnboy oil for the crude oil and amsoil for synthetic, try a search on amsoil, lot's of rave reviews

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i use opti 2 in all my 2 stroker stuff. burns cleaner w/o smoke and i also run it in my lawnboys. ame mix for all 2 strokes. no more smelly lawnboy oil for me.

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Opti 2 is amazing

6. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

Red bulls right you need to stock oil for the two stroke manufactures you carry, however echo is usually the cheapest oil and seems to work great.

7. mach9

mach9 LawnSite Member

Not a dealer for any manufacturer, just a little one man show here. I am already an Amsoil dealer though, so it's good to hear it is highly recommended. Thanks for all of the advice. MJ

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Redbull : your comment about mixing synthetic is not true, I do it all the time in my car. Same brand but different weight. I also know people who use totally different brands, but you should know about oil if you want to do this.

a good site for you to check out if you are interested go to the forum section.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

9. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

I meant brands - you can't mix opti & amsoil. you can mix weights because no matter the weight the "ingredients" are the same

10. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

you do realize that Amsoil buys their basestock from Mobil, so depending on the oil you can mix different brands. Like i said i dont suggest it unless you know about oil.