New to site, just getting started

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jimmyzlc, Aug 4, 2007.

1. jimmyzlc

jimmyzlc LawnSite Senior Member

I'll start out that I lost my job in 06 as a GC Superintendent. After looking around where we moved to it was obvious I was not going to find a job paying what I wanted to make without traveling. I was tired of working with and for complete morons and a@# kissers so I bought a truck a rider weed-eater, blower and started advertising in the local paper. I picked up a few accounts and ended the year with 9. I kept advertising through December and started up again in February. My goal was if I could get to 20-25 by the end of this year along with the full-time job I had my family would be OK. Well I blew by that goal pretty quickly landed some nice accounts and as of July 1st work full-time for myself.

I feel very lucky to be where I am at and have a good base to work from for next year. I keep picking up customers and hope to keep building to secure my families future. One thing I found out by doing this is I have my fathers gift for gab and I can listen well. That I enjoy just as much as anything is talking to my customers. You would be amazed how much you can learn from someone in 10 minutes if you just spend the time.

Needless to say this is a scary time as we are not over the hump by any means, but I feel I am heading in the right direction. Money is still tight with the added expense, but man I should have done this years ago. My wife and I did a lot of praying and still do that GOD will guide us through and make it right. So far so good.

2. jimmyzlc

I'd like to say the biggest problem I have had is keeping equipment going. I wasn't planning on getting so big so quick. I bought used equipment fixed it up and figured I'd be good for the year. I don't want to go to a bank yet to get a loan to buy bigger mowers, but I spend $100-200 a month on repairs. My John Deere 318's motor just shot craps. It just seems like one problem after another. Any suggestions or words of wisdom out there?

3. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Invest in your future.

4. jimmyzlc

With the first season done and over with, I am gearing up for next year. I have a good customer base to build on. 45 lawn accounts another 20-25 I misc. work for.

I bought a snow plow and got my money back on that this winter, but the trany on my truck went out after the last big snow, OUCH!

Any advice on pitfalls to avoid in year two?