1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New to site

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ajo771, Mar 1, 2009.

1. ajo771

ajo771 LawnSite Member

Hi, I'm new to the site and thought I should introduce myself.

My name is AJ. I use to own and landscape business in the thru the 90's. I am currently a project manager building roads and bridges for the State of New York, but my primary hobby in my yard. I have about 4 landscaped acres; from bog gardens and a koi pond, to shade gardens and vegetable gardens, from perennial gardens and potted annuals; and of course my pride and joy, the lawn.

For the past 5 years I have traveled 75 - 100 miles each way to work, and have often thought about getting back in the landscape business. I have a dual degree in Architecture and Landscape Architecture. A key person working for me in the 90's is looking to make a change with his current situation and it might be the time for me to get back in the game. Of course I would have to work my regular job in the beginning. A tough proposition considering I get up at 4:00 am and get home about 8:00 pm. But I missed my kids growing up and don't want to miss the rest of their lives. So another year of sacrifice now could mean changing that.

I just found this website a few days ago while searching the internet for reviews on todays commercial ZTR's. I was impressed with the amount of recent information on this site compared to the other sites I've seen. Also, seems like a reliable place for technical information.

I also enjoy motorcycling and ATVing , but I find myself in the yard more than on the motorcycle or ATV.

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to Lawnsite and good luck in '09 with your transition.

3. ajo771

ajo771 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the welcome. Not sure I'll make the transition this year but crunching the numbers and looking for some prospective work. Feeling out the market. I had a great relationship with my commercial accounts. They always said to give them a call if I got back into it. If some jump I'll have a good starting base. Economy is the big question mark for me.

4. dwight1moore

dwight1moore LawnSite Member

Welcome to the site. Good Luck in whatever your choose to do, With the rough Economy im sure its gonna be hard on quite a few of us.

5. grasschopperofchicago

grasschopperofchicago LawnSite Member

In regards to economy, I am curious as to how much of an impact it is going to have this season. I have to imagine the Commerical and Seniors are going to remain using lawn care services. I also imagine the upscale neighborhoods will still employ such services. I think the biggest hit will be the middle income blue collar workers who have lost their positions to layoffs and such. I believe a large group of them actually do most of their own lawn care. I have 123 accounts that I service with all but 8 returning this year. I have found that with seniors or residential, a good way to offset cost is to contract them for the year, but spread the payments out over 12 months versus the 7-8 month season in our area. Example=$35.00 cut on a 29 week contract $35x29=$145@month over 7mo/versus $85+/- per month over a 12 month period, much easier pill to swallow