New To Sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by SDNCLAWNCARE, Jan 29, 2007.

1. SDNCLAWNCARE

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Customer called and wants her back yard sodded.. Never done this before, but it doesn't seem to hard. What are your opinions?

2. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

It can be hard if you don't know what your doing, but then it can be easy if you have the equipment to do it. It is very hard work, but you get payed alot more too if you know how to charge for it too. I would take the job, but research a little bit, on how to do it, how to chrage right for it. Good luck!

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

SDNCLAWNCARE: I've done lots and lots of sod. !. Buy Fresh Sod from a trusted company. By the pallet is cheaper than square footage but make sure you know what is in the pallet. If there's a sod farm near you, deal with them. I used to go and work the cutter and got a little discount for loading it. #2. Make sure the ground is dug up, tilled, and a good starter fertlizer put down. (Important to have a good base for the roots) #3. Place your new sod down in a bricklike patten with staggered joints. (I even fill in the missing and broken places and cover the seams with spagnum peat moss. #4. Water it like ther's no tomorrow. Keep it wet, Every day for two weeks. Let it dry out and it will die, die, die. Heed this. Keep it wet. It will leach the water and roots will dry out. Really though it must have moisture. I water sod three times/day After two weeks you can cut it to 2/day. You could begin to see yellowing due to lack of iron. Give it a shot of the liquid iron. Hope this will help. Roy PS I sod in North and South Carolina.

4. SDNCLAWNCARE

Thanks for the responses... So when should I lay the sod down? Early March? Can I lay it down before the last frost? Great Info.

5. RAlmaroad

from SC

What sort of grass is your sod? To be safe, let's put down after May 30 to make sure that the frost has gone by. I say that because the watering is so important. We'll probably get some green up prior May 30th or if things turn really warm and nights say above 55, you could start a little sooner. If the bluegrass or fescue is still a little dormant, hit it with a little extra potash--we want the roots to develop mostly and get attached to the ground--potash will help there. Wait for about two-three weeks to mow. The above ground grass will feed the roots. I would not treat it with nothing until fall. Keep it watered, mowed and after a month or so, give it a shot of "Miracle-Grow" from the hose adapter. Would your client object to using their water for the Miracle-Grow. Make sure to ask. Roy

6. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

plant green side up i made the mistake of planting it upside down very costly. thats a joke

7. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Lmao ....If the dont speak good english "green side up is the way to go"

On a serious note sod work is kinda of ball busting work depending on the prep work that's involved. So many different factors involved as to if its an easy job or a pita job. As with any job the more you know the easier it is to make money at it

8. SDNCLAWNCARE

I can get Fescue for 90.00 per pallet. Which is 50 yrds. I know its going to be hard work, but what isn't? Thanks for all the input. I'll keep you guys posted.

9. RAlmaroad

from SC

If you get a helper to bring you the sod and you stay on your knees--it will go really fast. Otherwise, you will run yourself to death. Park the truck or wagon really close and move it when needed. Remember to stagger the joints like brick and water like crazy. Roy

10. RAlmaroad

from SC

Another thing that I did not mention--use the tractor or roller to roll the sod after you put it down--this will make sure the roots are in contact with the earth. You can use the lawn tractor to pull the roller--rent it and fill with water.