1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to the Biz

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kut N Edge, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Kut N Edge

Kut N Edge LawnSite Member

Hello first of all I am Mark from Brownsville, Texas. I just started a lawn care business and have about 3 customers so far. Was wondering how i can get some more ASAP. Any ideas or comments would be much appreciated. Thank You
  2. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

1. Post some signs around the neighborhoods that you want to service, just make sure that there's no city ordinance about posting signs.

2. Let your current customers know that you want to pick up more clients, "word of mouth" is very powerful in growing. (You must do good work).

3. Get a professionally made sign on your truck and trailer with your company name and phone number (magnetic for truck and metal for trailer).

4. Get business cards made and have them on you at all times. Everyone you meet is a potential customer.

5. Look professional when you are out in the field. You are a advertisement every time you are driving around with your equipment.

6. News papers

7. Door to door fliers (a lot of work).

7. Yellow pages (very expensive)

Texas has been smashed with rain this year, if you get out their and bust your azz, you should be able to pick up some new clients.
  3. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

do it the old fashion way. knock on their door and give them your sales pitch! tell them who you are and so forth. hope i could help!! and good luck!!!!!!!!
  4. Kut N Edge

thanks for the help but where would i found out about the city ordinance about the signs. Where would i ask or WHO can i ask? Another thing is if my business is not registered can i still make a sign for my truck and advertise myself? And yes TEXAS has been smashed with rain everyday. Grass very tall everywhere.
  5. hess

hess LawnSite Member

Your city hall if your talking about signs for your truck i never heard any city ordinance for this might be new to me. Takes time to get what you want don't give up. i'm going to get yelled at on this one low ball a couple of jobs just to show the work you can do when you get going just talk to them and have to raise the price if they leave you well you got more experence and people know your work
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

it doesnt get any better than this,,,,,,,,,,,,
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Check your bity's web site...

ya dont have to worrie too much about this..........

most of the time if there is an ordance. you can still do it...Ya just cant knock on doors.....

Just place the flyer somewhere on door and leave...

NEVER NEVER NEVER place anything in a mail box,,,,,,,,,,, NEVER
  8. Kut N Edge

Im gonna be honest. I wanna start this part time. I currently have a part time job and have about 4 lawns that i do. I wanna make this lawn maintenance permanent. Can i advertise myself with the business not registered? Can I be putting up signs and signs on my truck? Would it be smart to register the business if im only part time with a couple of lawns but wanna expand? If registering my business is BEST where can i do that? Thanks alot guys yall are a ton of HELP.
  9. Kut N Edge

Another thing .... How much would yall charge for a standard 50 x 100 yard?
  10. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

In TX better to just go to the courthouse and get a DBA $10-$15 and you are "legal".
    Look for the State Comptrollers web site. They will have an 800# for sales tax help and no they re not "out to get you". You can tell them all you do and they will probably tell you as long as you pay sales tax on everything you buy; lawn services are probably totally non-taxable if you don't ell products to your customers (like weed-eaters or jugs of fertilizer at a profit).
    If so no need for a state permit or such, you are good to go. But call, Texas has GREAT on-line resources for new businesses although it can be daunting finding the right place & extension to call.

The city will have no problem with truck signs & such but will probably have a "signs must be "X" ft. from the curb and no signs on public property (at street corners where you are not working) and especially on phone poles & such. Maybe not, but ad sign laws are common nowadays because of all the "work from home make a million" signs people plaster everywhere.